ITIL or Project+ ?

GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of trying to get a IT Project Management cert next.

Is ITIL Foundations harder to pass then Project+ ?
Also do you think that ITIL is more recognized then Project+ ?
Are both certs geared for different levels of IT Project Management?

I appreicate your time and opinions. Thanks!

GeeLo :)
Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GeeLo wrote: »
    Is ITIL Foundations harder to pass then Project+ ?

I think the whole question about whether one cert is harder than another is something that can only be answered personally. At the moment the worldwide pass rate for ITIL Foundation is in the upper 80-90 percent range.
    Also do you think that ITIL is more recognized then Project+ ?

Yes.
    Are both certs geared for different levels of IT Project Management?

No. These are two totally different things.

Project+ is an entry-level project management cert. It is not necessarily geared towards IT project management. It is also not very popular in the project management world, with PMP and PRINCE2 being the primarily sought after credentials in that area.

ITIL v3 Foundation certifies a basic/introductory level of awareness of IT Service Management best practices as stated in the IT Infrastructure Library.

MS
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks eMeS, I think I'll study and take the ITIL v3 Foundation first, then Project+ after that. Seems like ITIL v3 Foundation test is 40 questions, multiple choice, in 60 minutes... I'll give it a shot icon_thumright.gif
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
    Tell me also about the Alan Parson's Project+.. Eye in the Sky ? icon_wink.gif
  • goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    ITIL isn't really a project management type of certification. If that is what you want I would go for the CAPM or PMP(if you have the necessary experience). These are from PMI and are well received. The PMP is a great cert to have and there are many jobs with this requirement. In that regard, the CAPM may just highlight the fact that you don't have the PMP but at least it shows entry level knowledge.

I do see many listings that now request a ITIL as a least a favorable cert to have if not actually required. I have never seen Project+ listed in a want ad. It may just be me.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I do see many listings that now request a ITIL as a least a favorable cert to have if not actually required. I have never seen Project+ listed in a want ad. It may just be me.

It isn't just you. Project+ isn't that popular. ITIL is growing and ITIL Foundations seems to be a very good +1 cert to have for any level of IT pro. After I knock out some of the stuff in my sig, I will take a short break and pick it up. IT is about business and I don't want to be a tech forever.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have actually seen ITIL listed as a requirement before. I've never seen Proj+ listed on any job posting.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thank You, I appreciate everyone's input on this.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tell me also about the Alan Parson's Project+.. Eye in the Sky ? icon_wink.gif

Planet P Project+ is way better:

YouTube - PLANET P PROJECT - WHY ME

Takes me back to the early-early 80's.....

MS
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    The knowledge I gained from studying Project+ was worthwhile and it was even a little fun for me, but the Project+ cert itself doesn't carry any serious weight in the real world. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for ITIL since it's more popular.
    Usus magister est optimus