Hardest CCVP Test

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I am just wondering what the pro's think the hardest CCVP exam is. I am about to start pursuing CVOICE after I passed my IIUC and I am personally dreading it. It seems to be full of fundamental information. Which is important and all but boy do I hate reading page after page of fundamentals. Because of this, I think I am going to dislike this one more than the others.

What is your take on it?
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There's no real definitive answer for this one - I guess it really comes down to individual study habits, materials used, experience (lab and or real world), and of couse the pool of questions come test day.

I had a REAL hard time getting into CVOICE. The book is pretty dreadful. I was planning on taking CVOICE as my first CCVP test but got bored of the material pretty quickly so I moved on to QoS, then back to CVOICE, got bored again, took the CCNA:S test, then finally got CVOICE out of the way.

All Cisco professional level tests are difficult. Based on my experience (which will vary of course) I would put them in the following order, starting with the most difficult test (not necessarily material):

CIPT2, TUC, CVOICE, CIPT1, QOS
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If it matters, I took them in the following order:

QOS, CVOICE, CIPT1, CIPT2, TUC
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely agree about CVOICE being badly written (my opinion only) and a very "dry" read. However doing it so soon after CCNA-V was a benefit, it filled in a lot of missing pieces and allowed me to construct a multi-site CME lab with Cisco based pseudo-PSTN.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    pitviper wrote: »
    If it matters, I took them in the following order:

QOS, CVOICE, CIPT1, CIPT2, TUC

I did the same order, but did CCNA-V after QOS. The only reasons I did that was due to the introduction of the CCNA-V and the clarification that CVOICE wouldnt do rather than CCNA-V as pre-requisite.
    I was at least a couple of weeks away from being ready to take the CVOICE, so made the switch to CCNA-V, I found the information easier than the CVOICE.
    IMO CVOICE is the toughest cert in the range as the concepts are foreign to routing and switching. Once you’ve mastered that the rest are easier to follow. The biggest issues with the others is lack of resources available.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I did the same order, but did CCNA-V after QOS. The only reasons I did that was due to the introduction of the CCNA-V and the clarification that CVOICE wouldnt do rather than CCNA-V as pre-requisite.
    I was at least a couple of weeks away from being ready to take the CVOICE, so made the switch to CCNA-V, I found the information easier than the CVOICE.
    IMO CVOICE is the toughest cert in the range as the concepts are foreign to routing and switching. Once you’ve mastered that the rest are easier to follow. The biggest issues with the others is lack of resources available.

So would it be a good idea to get CVOICE out of the way first?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    chmorin wrote: »
    So would it be a good idea to get CVOICE out of the way first?

yep gotta be done first. The CCNA-V will help you out along the road icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    yep gotta be done first. The CCNA-V will help you out along the road icon_smile.gif

I already have IIUC passed, I'd say 1/3 of what I have read so far in CVOICE is a refresher to me, 1/3 is more detail into enterprise stuff, and the other 1/3 is crap i really don't care about but will learn anyway.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
    chmorin wrote: »
    I already have IIUC passed, I'd say 1/3 of what I have read so far in CVOICE is a refresher to me, 1/3 is more detail into enterprise stuff, and the other 1/3 is crap i really don't care about but will learn anyway.

lol Yep I'd agree with that, sadly though the crap is important along the way icon_smile.gif
  • Chris.MChris.M Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have gone an odd way on my path to CCVP. I had alot more UCCM experience and peformed upgrades from 4.1 to 7.0 on our voice system. Due to the extra experience and studying I went

CIPT1 -> CIPT2 -> CVoice. I am now finishing up QOS and plan to start my TUC next month.

--

So far I have found the CVoice the hardest but that is because it was all self study with a little work experience. Our gateways were setup 5 years ago and have barely needed any changes. QOS hasnt been to bad, but I already went through alot of the concepts with CCNP's ONT.

I am interested in how TUC will turn out but that wont be till next month. So at this time CVoice has my vote based on my knowledge and experience.
    "[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools. ~Napoleon"[/FONT]

Completed: CCIE:Voice Written - Passed 4/14/11.
    In Progress: CCIE:Voice Lab - ETA 12/2011.
  • packetbrainpacketbrain Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a CCSI in the process of "re-qualifying" to teach all the CCVP courses... and was literally the first Cisco voice instructor at Global Knowledge... so my perspective is a bit different, but may be informative.

I found CIPT1 and 2 course materials to be the easiest to digest and the exams were in turn very straightforward and fair.

I have always maintained that Cvoice is the one course you should *not* self-study... you will benefit greatly from an instructor with real-world experience dealing with legacy system integration. The exam is harder to study for because of that reason, imho... a fair exam overall - with perhaps a little too much emphasis on technologies Cisco removed from the Cvoice lab on purpose - like E&M.

Though I think QoS is the one course that would be easiest to self-study... the exam isnt up to par with the course, imho. I believe there are several questions that are flat out wrong (answers are inconsistent with the question)... and others are just written very poorly.

Once you have made it through all of those exams, take the TUC exam last and I think you will find a large part of it to be review.. and need very little study time.

My little plug... I do deliver all of these courses in private/onsite format more cheaply that any other authorized learning partner... see Welcome to Our Community Site | PacketBrain - Training and Consulting : Home if you want to learn more about us.

Cheers,
    Ken