Options

My future?

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I don't know what to do.
I'm 16 and I like computers and was thinking of studying for some certs.
I was thinking of going into the IT field but sometimes I think that working with computers will be really mundane and boring. I think that even though I like computers, I won't like my job because it will be too boring working in a cubicle inside an office all day.

Basically, I'd like to know what you guys think of your careers. Are they really boring? Can someone describe an average day for me please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    There are many out there who are field techs. They travel all day, from business to business, troubleshooting, upgrading, repairing and installing pretty much anything.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Indeed. The majority of my IT experience has been helpdesk/PC tech troubleshooting.

Its very ambitious of you to be thinking about this at such an early age.

Different strokes for different folks; some people fall in love with what they do but the next person taking that job completely hates it. My advice would be to find out what you love about computers and computer use in the modern world and chase after the appropriate career. It could take 10 years and multiple jobs to figure it out but when you do, it'll be all worth the wait!

IT isn't all about sitting at a desk all day or sitting in wiring closet inside an igloo :)
  • Options
    votekvotek Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have about 3 years of Help Desk experience and that indeed is boring and not my cup of tea. In my personal experience, it seems that it's mostly dealing with extremely frustrated people who don't have their keyboards plugged in.

Currently I'm doing IT work for a small business and every day is something new and challenging. One day could be setting up new computers, another could be configuring new network hardware and the next day could consist of documenting IT processes and procedures.

Timespace, I recommend you do try a few jobs out while you're young if your able to obtain a part time job in the field. You may love help desk, or maybe programming, or networking. Rogue2Shadow hit the nail on the head, different people may like different types of things. Make sure you go to college though, it seems many if not all jobs nowadays require at least a Bachelor degree.