Simulations

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
If simulations require command line tools, will these tools help file work? (Using /?)
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have never heard of a sim using a command line tool. This does not mean that MS won't change something and add one in sometime. I imagine if they did the help switch would work.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That is one of my biggest concerns. The dsadd/dsmod/dsquery ect commands all have a nearly infinite number of options behind them and I think that would be a whole mouthful to try and remember. I think I know enough to answer a multiple choice question on them, but not enough to start writing statements without a **** sheet handy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    That is one of my biggest concerns. The dsadd/dsmod/dsquery ect commands all have a nearly infinite number of options behind them and I think that would be a whole mouthful to try and remember. I think I know enough to answer a multiple choice question on them, but not enough to start writing statements without a **** sheet handy.

IIRC, the MSPress book mentions that you should have an understanding of what each command does but not all of the switches. I read over the switches a couple of times and that was the extent of my studying with the switches. My best advice would be to use the commands and mess around with them a little bit. You'll get a good idea of how they work and what you can do with them.
    Sounds like I should be alright. Thanks for the knowledge and advice.
    I would not be worried.
    I would not be worried.

Thats alright, I still have half a dozen other things to worry about. IIS being the one that comes to mind at the moment.
    Thats alright, I still have half a dozen other things to worry about. IIS being the one that comes to mind at the moment.

I would not be too worried about that either...

So long as you have mastered the fundamentals and have labbed the details like setting up IIS and understand some of its basics you will be fine. It's the core of the information that matters most.
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    I never had any sims requiring command line tools. I'm sure if there were any they would be pretty straightforward, most of the sims I had were not really complicated. In my experience with the 70-290 it was the questions, the actual act of what they wanted you to do was pretty simple, but the wording of the question could throw you off. Really I found the sims to be the easiest part of the exam.
    bdub wrote: »
    ... Really I found the sims to be the easiest part of the exam.

In the case of the 290 I would agree with this.
    I was looking forward to the simulations, until I was told from transcender that the simulations require you to do things a certain way. Also they are all points or no points.

The 2008 exams use performance based testing rather than simulations. With the PBT's they basically load up a vm and allow you to solve any method possible. But still full points or no points.

So according to them, sims grade for how you do it while pbt's grade for the final result.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sims actually grade you for getting the final result also. The difference is that you are blocked from doing it certain ways. If there are 3 ways to get something done you may only have 1 of the paths to that result available to you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In the case of the 290 I would agree with this.

Double agreed.
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I was looking forward to the simulations, until I was told from transcender that the simulations require you to do things a certain way. Also they are all points or no points.

The 2008 exams use performance based testing rather than simulations. With the PBT's they basically load up a vm and allow you to solve any method possible. But still full points or no points.

So according to them, sims grade for how you do it while pbt's grade for the final result.

the certain way they want you to do it will most likely be the only option available....

you got this one. don't sweat it....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283

Well, not really. MS does consider the sims PBT as you are graded on if you have performed the task or not. You are just restricted in how you are able to perform the task. But as another individual stated the method or methods available to you in a sim are the most common ones. Would you really use DSADD in a test? I would not! Way too easy to make a mistake. I would never even use DSADD in production unless it was in a script where I could review it easily to ensure it would do what I wanted it to do.

Saying that sims test the way you do something is almost like saying a test that requires you to fill in answers with a no 2 pencil tests your pencil skills. Well, sure I guess it does but you should already know how to use a no 2 pencil. Just like you should already know how to use the ADUC snap-in. It's the theory behind the question that matters. The fact that you are required to use an MMC to do it is secondary.
  • MicernestMicernest Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have never seen Sims use cmd. Its always d normal GUI. I want to know if your marks are subtracted for clicking the wrong path. U know when the show the red sign?
    Micernest wrote: »
    I have never seen Sims use cmd. Its always d normal GUI. I want to know if your marks are subtracted for clicking the wrong path. U know when the show the red sign?

All of MS's information regarding sims and other PBT state that youu are graded on the final result *only*. Howerver they do not really explain what that means. For example, if you are assigned the task of creating 3 new users and adding them to an existing group and then delegating control of the group to a fourth user but you accidently enable RRAS (as if you could do something like that by accident) would you miss the question for enabling RRAS? We don't know and those who do know are not allowed to tell us. I am inclined to believe that no, we would not get points taken off. But I cannot say so with any certitude.

What I do know is that MS has gone to lengths to dispell the "fewest clicks" theory. This theory states that you have points deducted if you peck around the GUI looking for the tools you need to accomplish the assigned task. MS has pretty much come out and said 2 things about this: 1. the points for the question are all or nothing and 2. you are graded on the final result, not on the path taken to get there.