Options

IT titles? noob question lol

timespacetimespace Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are the IT job positions you guys know of and what do they mainly do?
Like sysadmin and network admin or network engineer or desktop support or help desk... what are the definitions for these positions? Any other IT position? Thanks. Btw, I'm 16 and just breaking into the IT field...

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The pay for the same job can easily vary by a factor of 10 or more depending on whether you live in New York City or Mumbai -- and that's without figuring in any currency valuations.

Research a few interesting job titles and sign up on the job boards (or indeed.com) -- and use a backup email address to have a regular job update sent to you. You can use that to figure out the ranges of pay from the few jobs that may list a number and get an idea of jobs availability in your area. I've been doing that for years tracking some different products and certifications -- and it's useful to go back through just to see which companies and staffing agencies have shown an interest in those things in the past.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    h.embassh.embass Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are loads of IT profiles that you can choose from :D network admin is just one of those. You can go into
    software development or testing, can go into support projects or be a technical trainer. But my suggestion would
    be that comprehend your interest area first. That way it would be easy for you to choose your IT profiles.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    You'll see "helpdesk" referred to a bit. That role description really depends on the organization. It could be just someone who logs tickets, or it could be what others considers system admins...and anything inbetween.

Dont forget your database admin/programming, webmaster /support/programming, messaging admin, security consultant, applications dev/support...its a great big world out there.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    timespace wrote: »
    What are the IT job positions you guys know of and what do they mainly do?
    Like sysadmin and network admin or network engineer or desktop support or help desk... what are the definitions for these positions? Any other IT position? Thanks. Btw, I'm 16 and just breaking into the IT field...

IT is a very broad area. Your best bet is looking online in places like monster and see what jobs are out there and what they require.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    My current title is "Senior Analyst." Thats the same title as the phone support, server guys, and web developers have here also.