windows default hidden shares

Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
im sure i could google this, but im lazy! anyway, anyone know how to turn off these shares so they dont turn back on after reboot?

Comments

• Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so what are you trying to tell me? LOL. guess i wont be needing to do that then huh? icon_redface.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    :) Just pointing out the consequences so you know what you are getting into. That, but the article also implies the answer to your question:

If you set the AutoShareWks registry DWORD value to 0 (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters) the default shares won't be (re-)created at startup. Depending on whether any of the problems in the article I pointed out apply to your Windows XP machine you can 'safely' remove them.
  • NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick question, why would you want to disable these shares?? If you are looking at it in a security perspective you can always permission them out to certain groups or individuals. Just my opinion.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    'A' valid reason can be to minimize the number of 'access points'. Even though you can secure it tighly it is another way in for a potential attacker. Exploits in the past allowed connections to IPC$ and indirectly to vital system files while evading authentication. If new ways to abuse the hidden aministrative shares are discovered you won't be vulnerable to it. I guess it comes down to one of the objectives in the Security+ exam: Non-essential services, i.o.w. if you don't need, and want things to be as secure as possible, don't run it. As I pointed out previously, they do have a valid purpose, so removing them 'can' result in unavoidable problems.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Learned something new today! :D
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?