PIX 506E Firewall worth picking up?

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
My professor said he could get me a Cisco PIX 506E firewall for only $100, from what I can tell this is quite a bargain but I figured I would check with the community here first before dropping the money. It will be for home use and eventually also for a home business that will require a VPN connection.

Worth picking up?
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    My professor said he could get me a Cisco PIX 506E firewall for only $100, from what I can tell this is quite a bargain but I figured I would check with the community here first before dropping the money. It will be for home use and eventually also for a home business that will require a VPN connection.

Worth picking up?

Correction, it looks like it is $145 with power supply/cables/etc

Still worth picking up?
    WGU PROGRESS

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nope. It's way past EOS. If you can't wait and save a bit more for an ASA (which I definitely would with future business use in mind) then just look on ebay for a cheaper Pix 501. It has the exact same features as a 506 with more than enough capacity for home use.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can get a brand new ASA5505 retail for around $400. $145 for an old PIX506e isn't that amazing of a deal.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    You can get a brand new ASA5505 retail for around $400. $145 for an old PIX506e isn't that amazing of a deal.

If you can find an ASA5505, last I checked Cisco was still experiencing supply issues and the used ASA market had nearly driven up to the price of new units. I would go with the ASA though assuming you can find one cheap - when I bought mine before I ran into freebies I found a good bargain on an open box unlimited bundle from Newegg, pickup an ASA and if you desire to learn PIX get a cheap 501.

If you want a PIX 501, 506, or 506E for cheap let me know.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »

Here is one on new egg

Newegg.com - CISCO ASA5505-50-BUN-K9 10000 Simultaneous Sessions 150 Mbps ASA 5505 Security Appliance
    Thanks for the advice. I will probably get a PIX 501 for now and save up for an ASA firewall in the near future.
    WGU PROGRESS

I was able to pick up an ASA 5505 for $250. It is only a 10 user license but I don't run more than 10 devices on my home network anyways. Thanks for the tips!
    WGU PROGRESS

• mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A Pix 506E is great if you upgrade the memory in them to 64MB and run 7.1(2) on it.

They make fantastic transparent firewalls then for home use or even small businesses.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1