Options

This is kind of messed up

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
I get the reasoning but still with high unemployment I would think I would rather get somebody hungry to work vs somebody looking to make more money but thats just me. (the part about Sony making a mistake? yeah right they are just pulling a PR image clean up imo)

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

In a current job posting on The People Place, a job recruiting website for the telecommunications, aerospace/defense and engineering industries, an anonymous electronics company in Angleton, Texas, advertises for a "Quality Engineer." Qualifications for the job are the usual: computer skills, oral and written communication skills, light to moderate lifting. But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed regardless of the reason."

In a nearly identical job posting for the same position on the Benchmark Electronics website, the red print is missing. But a human resources representative for the company confirmed to HuffPost that the The People Place ad accurately reflects the company's recruitment policies.

"It's our preference that they currently be employed," he said. "We typically go after people that are happy where they are and then tell them about the opportunities here. We do get a lot of applications blindly from people who are currently unemployed -- with the economy being what it is, we've had a lot of people contact us that don't have the skill sets we want, so we try to minimize the amount of time we spent on that and try to rifle-shoot the folks we're interested in."

There are about 5.5 people looking for work for every job available, according to the latest data from the Labor Department.

Sony Ericsson, a global phone manufacturer that recently announced that it would be bringing 180 new jobs to the Buckhead, Ga. area, also recently posted an ad for a marketing position on The People Place. The add specified: "NO UNEMPLOYED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED AT ALL." When asked about the ad, a spokeswoman said, "This was a mistake, and once it was noticed it was removed."

Ads asking the unemployed not to apply are easy to find. A Craigslist ad for assistant restaurant managers in Edgewater, N.J. specifies, "Must be currently employed." Another job posting for a tax manager at an unnamed "top 25 CPA firm" in New York City contains the same line in all caps.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow...if that isn't illegal, it sure as hell ought to be. Imagine if every company in the world started doing that. What's going to end up happening is people are going to start "working" for shell companies that don't even exist. It is TERRIBLY easy to set one of those up at a very tiny cost. If done right, you could have a secretary, a corporate address, a formed LLC and anything else to just start in less than a day. And it wouldn't even cost that much to do.

Discriminating against the unemployed is just wrong. If someone should be given a job, it should be based on merit. God forbid I have to work at MckieDees (and no Virginia, not in the corporate office doing IT work...I mean flipping burgers and salting fries...) JUST so that I could get my resume.

Something should be done!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seeing that the company actually POSTS that policy is disturbing. Imagine the number of companies that don't publicly post that policy but which follow it anyway. That compny which said that part of the posting was a mistake was probably just that the HR person mistakenly put that on the job posting. The company will still follow that practice and just **** all resumes from unemployed people.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I get the reasoning but still with high unemployment I would think I would rather get somebody hungry to work vs somebody looking to make more money but thats just me. (the part about Sony making a mistake? yeah right they are just pulling a PR image clean up imo)

I wonder if those companies realize that the "Unemployed Will Not Be Considered" mantra is counter productive?

Yes, it will keep people from applying who have none of the matching skill sets, but will also keep the ideal candidate from applying because of the rotten economy.

The prefect person to solve the company's problems is kept from applying because of current unemployment, and the need to cut down on paper work. icon_rolleyes.gif

On a historical note -- This type of business insanity was also done during the Great Depression; and while it kept the hordes away it also kept the good problem solvers away.

Obdurate~
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Obdurate wrote: »
    ...and while it kept the hordes away it also kept the good problem solvers away.

Obdurate~

Their theory is that the good problem solvers would not have become unemployed in the first place.