Options

Any help welcome

trisha1963trisha1963 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi I have my compTIA A+ 220 701 in just over 1 weeks time, Any advice help suggestions on last minute prep, etc most welcome. Just how much do you need to know, as there is so much to learn.

any advice welcome

trisha:)

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    trisha1963 wrote: »
    Hi I have my compTIA A+ 220 701 in just over 1 weeks time, Any advice help suggestions on last minute prep, etc most welcome. Just how much do you need to know, as there is so much to learn.

any advice welcome

For last minute prep, look over the weak areas for a little while and don't study anymore. Go relax and have fun. For the how much you need to know part, study everything you can.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    trisha1963 wrote: »

any advice welcome

What sort of experience do you have?
    How well did you know the objectives (if) you reviewed them?
    What sort of texts or materials did you use to prepare for your exam?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    GeekspeakpediaGeekspeakpedia Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you aren't already, familiarize yourself as much as you can with where menu's are, and different ways to access them. Also, brush up on your weak areas. I had issues with the security portions.
  • Options
    fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    What sort of experience do you have?
    How well did you know the objectives (if) you reviewed them?
    What sort of texts or materials did you use to prepare for your exam?

Yes this depends a lot on the questions that the person above has asked. When I did my A+ I had 12 months experience in a 2nd line role, read 4 study books; Sybex, Couple of Mike Meyers, and an O'Reilly (Good book actually, check it out A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference In a Nutshell O'Reilly: Amazon.co.uk: Pawan K. Bhardwaj: Books). I also watched a bunch of CBT Nuggets and practised with a few exam sims. When I took the exam, it wasn't that bad, I felt I probably went overboard as it was my first certification exam.

The point being you should go overboard if what you are learning is new territory to you (After all that is what you should be doing the certification for, to better you learning and skill set), however if you have a lot of experience in the particular area, and you read through the material thinking I know all this; then you can get away with reading a good text book and doing the exam sims to get you into that way of thinking.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought I went overboard with 2 books (Mike Meyers A+ All in One and Exam Cram), Mike Meyers Learnkey video, Skillsoft, Measure up, and playing around with a bunch of old compsicon_wink.gif
    It's true what you said about learning sometimes takes going a little overboard. I always use at least 2 books to study for a cert and try to get as much hands on as possible. Just make sure you don't burnout using so much study material.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I try to spend the last week or so doing practice questions. I use these to determine week areas, and can then go brush up on specific areas. Also it is nice to get myself into a testing mindset.

It can also boost my confidence. If I take a pretest the night before and score 95%, I will walk into the test with my head high and with nerves completely under control.

The practice software that I always use is Transcender, but there are other good ones out there.

Good luck on your test.
    Decide what to be and go be it.