decision time . .

neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been studying for Net+ and Security+ over the past year but procrastinate on the actual exam. I'm passing transender tests consistently with great results.

Ultimately I'm working toward my MCITP:EA (compliment 8yrs Deskside and 2yrs experience as server/network admin; I've lucky enough to get professional experience without the cert so far.)

Should I skip taking these tests even though I can pass and spend the dough on the ms exams?

On the other hand, I understand HR folks tend to look for certifications by name rather than actually read resumes before they get trashed. . . yes, no, maybe?
icon_study.gif
My rational is with my experience and the MS certification, one would hope I know the difference between a switch and a hub etc.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd say go for it! It doesn't hurt to have two lifetime certs :) (this is baring the fact that you do these tests before Jan 11, 2011)

The material will also help reinforce the basic part of your admin knowledge. We all need a refresher every now and then!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the security plus will look very good on your resume. It will be worth it to round out your security knowledge. Awesome if you do it before the end of the year it will still be a lifetime cert. The same goes for the Network+. The difference is that I think the network+ will not do as much for you resume as the Network+. If you want the extra cert then obviously you should do it but do know that there are a lot of networking certs out there that simply blow this out of the water.

Good luck!
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

I'm trying to strike a balance between experience and relevant certs rather than having a string of acronyms on my resume and help comptia pay their light bill. . . I think I'll end up taking the Security+ exam and apply the network+ knowledge to a future CCNA or CCENT.
  • lacto17lacto17 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes.. Its good to have both of the certs in your profile.
    Thanks & Regards
    Karthik.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you had said A+ I would say skip it, because that would of been a waste of money IMO, although it probably is the most popular comptia certification.

Network + is solid and I would consider it, however with 10 years of IT with 2 being system admin work I wouldn't. Again this is just my opinion. I think with that much experience it is a given that you know the Network + material and the most important thing is you do.

Security + I would get in a heart beat. If you are considering going Government work, that is huge. I spoke with a system admin out at Ft Belvoir and he said that they are currently hiring people without security certification, however in 6 months the automated system that scans the resumes won't even select the resume unless it has one of the security keywords, and you won't be eligible for 90%+ Government IT jobs. That goes from being a helpdesk tech to a system architect.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    neocybe wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I'm trying to strike a balance between experience and relevant certs rather than having a string of acronyms on my resume and help comptia pay their light bill. . . I think I'll end up taking the Security+ exam and apply the network+ knowledge to a future CCNA or CCENT.

Wise move in my opinion