How hard is this after 70-291?

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just passed the 70-291 last week and I'm trying to figure out which test to take next. I'm considering the Security+ to get my elective done, but I'm wondering if I should take the 70-293 next instead. Does it really overlap that much with the 70-291?

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    293 doesn't overlap, it delves into the design aspect of networking and covers new areas like NBL, clustering, certificates, PKI.

I'd definately recommend continuing the MSCE track; it's contains topics that a sys admin just needs to know about. It also looks better on the resume and demonstrates follow-through.
  • smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight. I noticed on my TestOut stuff that the DNS section for the 293 is exactly the same as the 291. I guess that's why I got the impression there was going to be a lot of overlap.
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    smg1138 wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight. I noticed on my TestOut stuff that the DNS section for the 293 is exactly the same as the 291. I guess that's why I got the impression there was going to be a lot of overlap.

I know what you mean, it appears like it is overlap but it is more like going over DNS but from a different view point. Like mikedisd2 said from a design aspect. You will find other material that you have already come across in 291 within 293 but again it is just from a different viewpoint. However I would encourage you to pursue 293 as PKI and clustering are worth getting to grips with as they make up the foundations of being a sysadmin, and are very important topics in the server world.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I would say that there is overlap, at least there was when I took the test last month. You need to use previous lessons/knowledge from all the tests to pass this one. The questions are worded as such and even the sims. that is why in the usial training material, it is copy and paste lessons for Testout and CBTNuggets. Glad to see you are going to continue to MCSE, it won't hurt you in the long run.

You will need to lab for this test. See the links that I and others have posted, it should help if you don't have the means for labbing with a full setup or VM's.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was quite a bit tougher than 291 in my opinion, but that could have been due to me having more time studying for 291, as well as I was going through some heavy project stuff at work while I was studying for 293.

Whatever you don, don't take this one for granted now that you've passed the "Beast". "Beast Junior" almost kicked my ass!
    swat wrote: »
    Whatever you don, don't take this one for granted now that you've passed the "Beast". "Beast Junior" almost kicked my ass!

Personally I think 70-293 is beast senior and 70-291 is beast junior (Just my opinion though). 70-293 has everything 70-291 has with the addition of PKI and clustering thrown in there. I think maybe because there are more people on the MCSA route rather than the MCSE route a lot of people did not come up against 70-293, therefore 70-291 received the title of beast rather than 70-293. Just a thought anyway....
    I reread my post, and I have to agree with you fly, I think it is due to some of the topics aren't really utilized on a daily basis with 293. I know we don't or we have moved away from the RRAS and went soley with Cisco VPN solutions and PKI/CA solutions are something that I have been asking to do, but no green light so far.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• swatswat Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    fly2dw wrote: »
    Personally I think 70-293 is beast senior and 70-291 is beast junior (Just my opinion though). 70-293 has everything 70-291 has with the addition of PKI and clustering thrown in there. I think maybe because there are more people on the MCSA route rather than the MCSE route a lot of people did not come up against 70-293, therefore 70-291 received the title of beast rather than 70-293. Just a thought anyway....

Good point, I never thought of it that way.
    motogpman wrote: »
    I know we don't or we have moved away from the RRAS and went soley with Cisco VPN solutions

I am in the same scenario, as in 3 different places I have worked for including my current place of work; they ditched RRAS and went with Cisco VPN. Funny thing is in one of the places I asked the server/network admins, how come you don't use RRAS as they were a Microsoft Gold Partner. The server/network admins replied with "What's RRAS?", "DOH!!"

No problem though as I like the Cisco VPN software but talk about wasting money "Sheeesh!" RRAS would have given them the same results that Cisco VPN gave them, for the minimal functionality they were using from it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm going to take both. I want Sec+ before the end of the year and since my employer is paying for the exam and study materials, why not right?
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I'm going to take both. I want Sec+ before the end of the year and since my employer is paying for the exam and study materials, why not right?

Hell Yeah!! icon_thumright.gif
    I would jump at it if my employer is willing to pay for ANYTHING that would further my knowledge.

I hear ya with the Cisco route. I will start working on CCNA/CCNP after the MCSE is done. I know the feeling, I have a co worker who is dense and is banking.... it is sickening. It makes you wonder how some people can get to where they are with being so technically imcompetent.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    motogpman wrote: »
    I would jump at it if my employer is willing to pay for ANYTHING that would further my knowledge.

Mine is :)

They're paying for the rest of my MCSE (4 tests) and Security+ . Then next year on top of doing a Cisco voip implementation, they are going to pay for me to take CCNA:S, CCNA:V, and CCNP.

Plus ALL training materials.

I am very fortunate and grateful for my employer and I do not take it for granted.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Mine is :)

They're paying for the rest of my MCSE (4 tests) and Security+ . Then next year on top of doing a Cisco voip implementation, they are going to pay for me to take CCNA:S, CCNA:V, and CCNP.

Plus ALL training materials.

I am very fortunate and grateful for my employer and I do not take it for granted.

That is really good!

Have they made you sign anything to say that you have to stay with the company for X amount of years? Even if they have made you sign for a year or 2 it is still worth it.
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    The 293 and 294 overlap, if I was to study again I would study them both for the 293