Options

Information on the 83-640 exam

We?re taking action based on your feedback - Born To Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Looks like 83-640 will be 70-640 as of the 2 June 2010.

That is until MS sort out the issues.
EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm glad I took it as the 83-640. I liked the simulations and it performed fine for me.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finally some good news!
    A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not sure I understand what this means. More simulations, less simulations, or something entirely different?
  • Options
    The simulations they were using had problems. If you see any simulations they will be the old type. You will no longer log onto a virtual server. I'm actually sad to see this go but they had so many problems with the system they had it's probably for the best.
    I didn't have any problems with this test but if you check back a few months in this forum you'll find a plethora of rants about the simulator having problems.

Basically the test will probably be all multiple choice.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Didn't have any issues with the exam and actually very much liked the format. Stops the dumpers from being able to pass basically.

Hopefully they get it sorted and all MS exams go to this method.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was actually looking forward to taking the simulations-based exam. To me it seems much more straight forward. I had simulations on my Cisco exam, and even though they were difficult I liked them. With simulations the task is clear; sometimes questions are not.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow... I took the 83-640 on June 1st. I didn't realize that was the difference between the 70-640 and the 83-640. My sim went fine. I hope MS converts all exams to the sim-based setup. I loved the sim format. Thanks for posting this info.
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I went to take 83-640 twice and it crashed both times. I was so mad. MS just sent me a voucher to take the 70-640.
  • Options
    beany101beany101 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am taking the 70-640 in the UK, next week - they have said that the 83-640 wont be back online for a couple of months now.

Anyone have any hot tips for the 70-640, who've recently taken it? Anything unexpected? Are there any SIMs at all?
    MCSA and MCITP:EA - hooray!! (29th July 2010)

70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647

:thumbup:
  • Options
    I've heard it's all multiple choice so far, but MS could change that,
    One good thing about MS doing this is that people who have access to IT Academy have the labs back. I wonder if the problems with the test had anything to do with IT Academy labs having the exact same type of virtual servers?
    I find it quite a coincidence that a week after MS pulled the simulations from the exams IT Academy has all the labs back for the course modules.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    83-640 wasn't available in all countries for example in Lebanon the only available exam was 70-640 I like the idea of simulation but it would've been really frustrating for me if the exam crashed and I had to do it again especially that i live in Syria and I will have to travel again or at least i would have to spend the night there and in both cases that's extra expense that no one will refund for me.