Options

Deploying Software

thickSkinthickSkin Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good Day,

I am trying to deploy an application that has a msi extension using Group Policy. In the group policy under software installation,the deployment state says assigned. The software however is not being deployed to the client. Has anyone ever encountered such a problem.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is the MSI file in a share, and are you pointed to that share? If the folder which your msi resides in isn't shared, the workstations won't be able to access. Also, if you specify that the msi is located in c:\my_folder\setup.msi each workstation will look to their own C drive for the application and not find it, so they won't install it.

Are either of those your problem?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Yes it is in a share and the source under software installation showsn the UNC path. I can also access the file from the client machine using the UNC path. The software however is not being installed. I am new to this so i don't quite know what other steps to take to troubleshoot.
  • Options
    Is it assigned to users or computers? Also, is this GPO linked to the users/computers that you are trying to deploy it to?
  • Options
    It is assigned to computers. Oh, i did not know about the linking part.In order to link the gpo to the computers i read that you should right click on the container that holds the workstations that i wish for the software to be deployed to and click add existing gpo (the gpo that i created). The problem is i am not seeing the option to add existing gpo.
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Run RSOP on the client machine to find out what policies are being received too.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    I usually just go to the properties of the OU, and then there is a GPO tab.

Just a note here, the computers container is NOT an OU. GPO's can not be linked to the users or computer containers. You will need to create a new OU for the computers and then move them out of the computers container. (You can link a GPO to the Domain Controllers OU, because it is an OU.)
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all your help. The software is being deployed now.
  • Options
    Cool, glad it worked out for you.