Options

After CISSP

ablakeablake Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have CISSP certifcation and are looking to continue my education - any advice on good broad certs that can be taken - I am concidering CEH or Comptia Security + but the preception is that CISSP is rated above them from a knowledge base perspective.

Any advice?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not an expert in security certificates but I am shocked to see your question icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would skip the the Security+, and go for the C|EH. Going for the Security+ would not broaden your knowledge.
  • Options
    why are you shocked - if what I was advised is not correct then please correct me.

This is why I canvas opinion

Thanks

Andrew
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ablake wrote: »
    why are you shocked - if what I was advised is not correct then please correct me.

Thanks

Andrew

Certs supplement what you do....So what do you do.
  • Options
    I am a teacher - I teach E safety to my younger students and the older students are asking really good questions about IT Security - such as about VPN's and cryptography etc - this is why I need to keep the certification broad - also schools are becoming more demanding for IT security advisors amongst their staff but just to a simple level at the moment. However I used to be a programmer and worked with security teams so that is my technical background. But I was never involved in certs as there was no demand for it - so now my interest is one of my own learning and t he other to help my students grow in their learning.
  • Options
    I am a teacher - I teach E safety to my younger students and the older students are asking really good questions about IT Security - such as about VPN's and cryptography etc - this is why I need to keep the certification broad - also schools are becoming more demanding for IT security advisors amongst their staff but just to a simple level at the moment. However I used to be a programmer and worked with security teams so that is my technical background. But I was never involved in certs as there was no demand for it - so now my interest is one of my own learning and t he other to help my students grow in their learning.

If you're teaching security then I would recommend security+.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks
    Andrew

I was shocked because I always thought that when/If I become a CISSP then I will work for a couple of years and then retire :D and forget about all this certification talk icon_lol.gif.
    +
    What GAngel said,
    +
    I know that you need to be experienced to become a CISSP, at that point you should not worry about CEH or security+ , but because you are a teacher it is a different story. :)
  • Options
    Thank you - can you recommend any good books on the course please.
  • Options
    Take a look in the security+ section on this website it should be able to guide you. You may also want to point your students here to read on there own. It's a very big field.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »

Agreed! Those certifications would be perfect for someone in education.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would look into the GSEC from GIAC/SANS. It is similar to the CISSP in that it covers many fields, just not very deep. It is very technical compared to the CISSP and would be a good complement to your existing knowledge.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Thanks everybody - I will look at SANS and CEH initially - and then see if security + can supplement.

Andrew