Acces Novell Server on Windows

Hey guys, I am completely new to Novell, and need to access to a Novell server, no one in our company is familiar with Novell, I am currently running Novell Client 4.91 SP4 on a Windows client, I am reading something about rconsole and rconj, but I am unable to remotely manage the server, any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    If you are talking about a netware server and not a linux OES one then you will want a tool such as adrem remote console Cool Solutions: AdRem Free Remote Console 5

Looking into it, it seems that ad-rem is no longer on the adrem site but you could download freecon and see (seems to be similar) or just do a quick google as I'm sure its going to be on t' webs somewhere.

I use adrem quite alot and find it pretty good actually, only thing is there is a slight delay in getting to the console due to me using the free version which of course adds a delay in to try and get you to open up your wallet.

If your new to netware then there is going to be a whole lot of googling going on, its not the most user friendly of OS's to admin! icon_smile.gif
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Thank you for the reply, I am downloading both utilities, I am able to discover consoleone, but it doesn't have a plugin for DHCP/DNS management, as it stands out the other admin had already tried installing iManager with no success, I will read through prerequisite on iManager installation since I really like the plug-ins for management, I believe there's additional configuration needed on the netware server ughhh :P
    consoleone does not include dns/dhcp that is a seperate tool, you can normally download the relevant tool from the server which hosts the service in either the sys or public folder (cant remember which). most of the snapins can be downloaded from either the server with the service or from the novell website.

if you make changes to DNS manually you will probably find you will need to run an 2unload named" and "load named" through the adrem console on the dns server as im my experience local dns resources are slow to update.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

just logged onto a server at work dnsdhcp app is in the public folder on our dns server so it should be the same for you.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Thanks for the reply I installed the application, I did not bothered installing the snap-in.

When I start the program I get an error: LA002: Fail to create NDS context.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the reply I installed the application, I did not bothered installing the snap-in.

I dont know how familiar you are with NDS and the basics of Netware administration but you could look at this link.

Novell Documentation

I should also put a question on the Novell Forums as the folks there are very helpful.

http://forums.novell.com/

If you really are a noob at Novell be sure to get some assist from your peers at work before you change anything on the server. Suggest you get some CNA material and have a good read before you start playing with the utilities.
    Might be worth looking at the novell site to see if there is a more up to date one that the version you may have, the error message might be something to do with nwadmin, I'm sure a bit of googling will see you right.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

• petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510

There's an Exam Cram book for the CNA 6.5. It covers many of the basics-- you may find it a handy reference.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers