Options

7941 not powering from an 803.af 3524 switch - Also credit transaction question

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
I can not seem to get my new 3524 switch to power my 7941G phone. When I plug it into my 7906's, it loads up just fine. I have put the phone in an environment with known working PoE, and it boots up as well. Any idea what could cause this? I have power bricks for my 7906's, I want the 7941 to work off of PoE (well, 803.af)

Also, say I have a credit transaction machine. What is the proper way to get it to connect to the carrier through a VoIP network to a PSTN and back? Occasionally I am encountering an issue during the transmission that causes bad transactions (multiple charges, no confirmation, etc). We have the device plugged into an ATA, which goes through our VoIP network to the PSTN (I assume, they don't let me look that far). I theorize that because the codecs(or do I mean protocols... still learning) are being changed so frequently the delay could become large enough to occasionally cause issues. I would assume implementing a voice gateway and taking the ATA out of the picture would resolve the issue. What is the proper way to deploy credit machines in a VoIP enviornment?

Thanks everyone.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Is it the "GE" model with gig ethernet? If so it won’t work with the 3524 (or even 3550 for that matter). The "GE" phones (as well as the newer color 79x5+ series phones) only support 802.3af. The older PoE switches are only capable of supplying cisco inline power (pre-standard).
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    chmorin wrote: »
    my new 3524 switch
    New? People still sell 3500XLs new? o.O
    to power my 7941G phone
    What Pitviper said.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    Is it the "GE" model with gig ethernet? If so it won’t work with the 3524 (or even 3550 for that matter). The "GE" phones (as well as the newer color 79x5+ series phones) only support 802.3af. The older PoE switches are only capable of supplying cisco inline power (pre-standard).

Yeah it is G-GE. Time to rummage around to find the good ol' G Model.

Any word on the credit issue?
    New? People still sell 3500XLs new? o.O

Haha, new to me! I gotta start somewhere, and since the budget is tight I bough a 2600XL, two 2900 switches, this 3524 Inline Power switch and a 1760-V router. I also have a VM ware server running CUCM. Next I need to buy some modules. This lab + GNS3 will do most of what I want to for now. I'll buy more as I need. Any advice for a lab on a budget?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah it is G-GE. Time to rummage around to find the good ol' G Model.

Just get a power brick for now :)
    Any word on the credit issue?

I've never personally setup a CC reader...but it definately sounds like a DTMF relay problem. Do a quick google serach - there are plenty of documentd DTMF issues and work arounds when converting to and from VoIP.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT