Sony Vaio help

entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
I'm working on a Sony Vaio PCG-K25 running Windows XP. The function keys have stopped working (the ones where you hold down the key with the green letters "Fn" printed on it while you use the F2-7 or F12 keys to control things like volume and brightness). It's not my laptop, so I don't know exactly when this happened, but it was sometime within the past few days. The owner also didn't have any knowledge of anything being installed.

I first booted to the Last Known Good Configuration, but to no avail. So, I searched for driver updates, but there were none. I entered the BIOS and looked for an option for these function keys. There was an option for Hot Keys, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing. Anyway, under the Hot Keys option I was able to select Type 1, Type 2, or Type 3. Type 1 was the default selection. When this Hot Keys option was highlighted there was a message in the BIOS saying that if they stop function then select another type, so I chose Type 2. However, this was also unsuccessful.

I don't have much experience with laptops in general, so any suggestions on how I could get these function keys to, well, function again would be greatly appreciated.
CompTIA A+ Certified - July 5th, 2005

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I happen to have a Sony Vaio myself, which also include the hot key functions. They, at least on my vaio (I don't have hotkey related BIOS functions), don't work without a small driver/util (HKserv.exe) that is started at boot. You can download the latest version from the VAIO support site.
  • entzillaentzilla Member Posts: 141
    Could you post a link? I went to the support site for the Vaio model I need it for, but I didn't see it there. I searched google, too, but all of the sites I came across were just giving information and not a link to download.

You are right, though. I believe this is what I need. It was not listed in the startup programs in msconfig and according to what I've read about it, it should be. Also, I keep getting these popups that the registry has been changed and it mentions something about spyware. I don't remember exactly what the message said, but I read something that removing hkserv.exe can cause security issues. I guess this has been going on for a little while, too. That means that after I download it I will probably have to clean this thing up quite a bit. icon_confused.gif

Thanks a ton for the help, Johan.
    Did you try www.vaio-link.com ?

Go to download section, drivers/utils, enter serial and product code (on bottomside of laptop), select OS, than select Hotkey Utility.

Weird though, I don't see a model PCG-K25 listed... but entering the serial and product code should take you to the correct section. If not, I can email (2MB) you the one I can download for my PCG-QR20, or any other model listed. I bet it's the same util/installation file though it would be your own responsibility if you install it ;)
    The product/serial code is 0004-3546-903-750.

00043546 is the product code and 903750 is the serial code, but it is not accepting that because the serial code has to be 7 numbers I guess.

Could you email me the driver for your model? If I install it and something goes wrong I'll just do a restore.
    I can mail you it for any model listed (in my case not the one you mentioned), I quickly tried two different models and I get the same file so I think it will work regardless of the model. Please confirm if I can send it (2MB) to your email account we have online for your account here, and I'll send you the one for the model closest to one you mentioned (PCG-K215 or something).

Edit: I just checked several other models and it seems that most don't have the Hotkey utility listed... ie. the ones closest to yours, so I'll start with the one for my model.
    I will be able to recieve the file through my email address listed.

I'm pretty sure quite a few of them are the same, so the closest model you are able to find will do.

Are you using www.vaio-link.com to find these? If so, how do you find them without the product/serial codes?

Thanks again for all of the help. :D
    OK, file sent (for my model). The closest models to yours (those that start with PCG-K) don't have the hotkey util listed for download.
    Are you using www.vaio-link.com to find these? If so, how do you find them without the product/serial codes?
    Once I get in using my own codes, I can select any other model in addition to my own. The PCG-K25 is not listed, not at www.sonystyle.com either... I did find it in google though. Kinda weird that a relatively new model like that is not listed.
    Thanks again for all of the help
    You're welcome, I hope it actually helps :)
    I downloaded and installed it, but no success.

HKserv.exe now appears in the msconfig startup and is enabled, but I still am unable to use the function keys.
    I also keep getting this message popping up:

Spybot - Search and Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed

Category: System Startup global entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: MSConfig
    Old Data: C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe (this path is different if I actually change something in the registry)
    New Data: (this line is grayed out)

At the bottom of the message there is the option to allow the change or deny the change. After installing the driver and rebooting, then attempting to use the function keys, I allowed the change and rebooted again, but nothing different and the message came up again.

It was also coming up early when I opened certain folders and applications.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't you just make a backup of the data and format the whole thing and start over?

At least then you can eliminate possible problems from a clean install. Sounds like a toughy though. Good luck.
    Will restoring the system files help in this case?
  • quyenltquyenlt Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□