How does one relax before an exam?

burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ask because it's been a while since i took an exam. Any suggestions you guys can make to stay focused and relaxed?

Thx

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do something that you enjoy before the exam. You'll need a break from studying before the actual test. I usually play video games, watch tv, or movies online. I'll review some before the exam too.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Chmorin explained it pretty well in this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/54404-test-taking-tips.html

Hope this helps.

This is in the CCENT/CCNA forum, so you may see him referring to stuff you know nothing about. No worries.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone is different in their study habits. I actually like to cram alot before my exams and it has always helped me, but most people I know can't study like that. So it all depends on your style and what you are comfortable with.
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    score a couple lines of coke and buy the affections of a lady of the night

that'll get you relaxed before your exam, of course, you run the risk of being too coked up to pass the exam icon_redface.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Chmorin explained it pretty well in this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/54404-test-taking-tips.html

Hope this helps.

This is in the CCENT/CCNA forum, so you may see him referring to stuff you know nothing about. No worries.

Thanks Monkerz. That helps.
  • steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always schedule my exams in the afternoon so I can sleep in. Then I do some last minute cramming, play some xbox, eat, and I like to grab an energy drink on my way to the test center. I may read over my notes in the parking lot, depends how confident I feel.

It's a nice little ritual that's worked for me so far.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a ritual like that also. Minus the xbox.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • GuyInNYGuyInNY Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Selfmade wrote: »
    score a couple lines of coke and buy the affections of a lady of the night

that'll get you relaxed before your exam, of course, you run the risk of being too coked up to pass the exam icon_redface.gif

haha thats hysterical!
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually schedule mine for the afternoon as well, that way I have a choice to show up early. Most of the time I show up 2 hours early since there isn't alot of people there normally and take it then. Being able to take it on "my time" takes away the "being on time" pressure.

On the way there I usually listen to rock songs that are lighter to relax. On the way home if I pass metal, if I fail usually too bummed and forget to turn on the ipod in the first place.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer to schedule my exams for early to mid afternoon. If it's decent outside I'll often go out for a long walk on my lunch break which I find relaxing and a bit of exercise too. I also try to make sure I've studied well enough that I'm confident in my ability to pass, that's probably the biggest key to success for me. These things along with avoiding last minute "cramming" or anything help a ton, I might review some areas lightly but I try to not stick much time or energy into that since it can just lead to stress.
    Well passing the exam today also helped!!! Thanks for your suggestions.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    burner27 wrote: »
    Well passing the exam today also helped!!! Thanks for your suggestions.

Congrats! What's next up on your list?
    Congrats! What's next up on your list?

Security+ then I am going for my MCSA since it's only 3 exams for me.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    i go and shoot some guns at the range :)... nah, not really. actually i hit the gym just before and get out all the stress and i breeze through the exam... nearly 99% of the time i think i'm going to fail regardless of my relaxation level or confidence in the material.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to spend as much time as possible preparing. One of my favorite personality traits about myself is the ability to handle pressure pretty well and not get worked up over things. So while that very good article by Chmorin says to relax, I can do that and study at the same time.

The only thing that does get to me, is time. If I am running late for something, especially a test where I lose my money and the chance to pass, I can get worked up. The day of, and the night before I try to leave lots of time for whatever. If I sit at the testing center for 45 minutes before the test, I can just sit in the car and read my notes. Better than speeding through traffic with sweaty palms. (Plus cops tend to not like that, you could miss your test, lose your voucher, and pay a ticket all in the same day.)

My A+ test (first cert I got back in the day) my test was at 7 or 8pm and I spent probably 5-6 hours studying that day.

Everyone is different. My best advice is to not get worked up, and don't be rushing around. Allow yourself time to sleep in, get up, eat a good breakfast, mosey around the house, do some reading, leave plenty of time to drive to your test, and sit down and pass it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I imagine that I've already passed it. I try to feel the excitement of it. A few days before I might update my resume with the cert (I make sure to flag it so I don't accidentally submit it if I'm applying for jobs) and look at it every so often throughout the day. By the time I arrive at the test center, I feel like it's already a done deal. I haven't failed a test yet.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deesiel wrote: »
    I imagine that I've already passed it. I try to feel the excitement of it. A few days before I might update my resume with the cert (I make sure to flag it so I don't accidentally submit it if I'm applying for jobs) and look at it every so often throughout the day. By the time I arrive at the test center, I feel like it's already a done deal. I haven't failed a test yet.

A friend of mine updated his business card with a new cert that he hadn't got yet. He was extremely prepared for the exam, and the company takes like 8 weeks to actually process the cards. Even if he failed the first time, he could have several more whacks at it before the cards were actually made.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    A friend of mine updated his business card with a new cert that he hadn't got yet. He was extremely prepared for the exam, and the company takes like 8 weeks to actually process the cards. Even if he failed the first time, he could have several more whacks at it before the cards were actually made.

Nice. Now THAT is confidence.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I normally cram the days before the exam, and then I try and take one full practice test the day or 2 before the exam. I then stop studying around noon the day before and do something else non-IT related the afternoon and evening before the exam.

The day of the exam I show up a couple of hours early and then go back over my notes and practice questions that I missed and printed. Once I have that all covered I go take the test. That way everything is fresh in my mind before the test.

The bottom line is to have seen as many practice questions as possible for each exam. That is the best preparation. If you know the material well, then relaxing for an exam is very easy. It's when you're not prepared that you will get nervous.

As I always tell my college age daughter for her college classes- learn/know the material. Everything else will fall into place.
  • megatran808megatran808 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually drink a Beer right before the exam. It really relaxes you before an exam.
    "Love your Job, but never fall in love with your company....because you never know when your company stops loving you!"
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't really do anything special. By test day you either know the material or you don't. If you don't you're in for a stressful day, there's no way around that. The best way to beat test-day stress is to be well prepared for the exam. Beyond that, eat a good breakfast and get enough rest. These are things you should do every day though.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/