Failed 70-294

fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
First attempt and first time I ever failed a Microsoft exam. My score was 675 icon_blackeye.gif. My results show the bars 3 quarters of the way up for all the topics except Plan and Implement Group Policy which was only half way up, so I guess I suck in that department. To be honest I am not really liking this feeling.

I had loads of fun at the testing centre the person next to me had problems with her exam and the site techie was trying to sort it out with a guy over the phone. Then I had two crashes through my exam with "Fatal errors" causing the machine to log off!!! Which again site techie and guy on phone had to resolve, by moving me to another workstation.

I used MSpress, Sybex, and CBT Nuggets, but still couldn't beat it. I do have a second shot however I am feeling a little wounded at the moment. I did have confidence in my server 2003 ability, however this fail has knocked it somewhat.

The best part was that, I had ordered Self Test software about 2 weeks ago which got lost in the post twice, so they said they were sending it a third time. It had been a few days and I still did not receive it. I got back from my exam today to find it posted through my door. THE ULTIMATE P!SS TAKE!!!

I think I will leave it a couple of days then start to go over all the material again, and give the Self Test software a try. I suppose I will re-schedule at some point.

To anybody taking this test. Make sure you really gem up on group policy and even the more obscure things (Which you may just skim read over) like different ways of initiating replication (Not just in sites and services) and modifications to Schema (Where to do it and the effects etc). I sat in the exam thinking I remember reading about that, but can't remember what it said for a couple of questions.

I am off to scream into my pillow now, if you will excuse me icon_mad.gif

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I failed twice, I feel your pain. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we all fail in the GPO department. Some just more than others.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    heyyyy, welcome to the club! I did the same thing, but at least you have a 2nd shot opportunity. Good Luck on the retake!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey

Thanks guys icon_thumright.gif

My sulk is over! I have had to take it out on a load of people on Super Street Fighter 4.

Time to regroup and kick the crap out of this exams ass!!

How dare it deny me my MCSE!!!!!!

Time to icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like you're exam experience (crashing workstation) may have had a little to do with your failing. I'd probably try a different test center if I were you. Jump back on that exam studying and kick it's ass next time. Good luck on the retake.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    Looks like you're exam experience (crashing workstation) may have had a little to do with your failing. I'd probably try a different test center if I were you. Jump back on that exam studying and kick it's ass next time. Good luck on the retake.

Thanks Earweed!

I have never had such bad luck in an exam before. I think I will take your advice on that one icon_thumright.gif
  • Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck, and yes, I'm 99% sure all those crashes probably screwed you up. Just a reminder though, you have to schedule and take the Second Shot before June 30th (when the program ends) or you won't get to retake it.

Good luck, sir!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jonny70 wrote: »
    or you won't get to retake it.

...for free, that is.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know how you feel, mine crashed 3x in an hour while taking the exam. Congrats on your upcoming pass!
    Many thanks to you kind sirs!!
    Jonny70 wrote: »
    Good luck, and yes, I'm 99% sure all those crashes probably screwed you up. Just a reminder though, you have to schedule and take the Second Shot before June 30th (when the program ends) or you won't get to retake it.

Good luck, sir!

Good point (I was conscious of this) and I have rescheduled to take the exam in another 2 weeks. I am starting to hammer Self Test and read over MSPress again (Particularly Group policy). I am also going over the sticky thread from royal (Which is good stuff) click here http://www.techexams.net/forums/70-294-ad-infra/19514-70-294-resources.html to check it out if you haven't already.

There is one question in the exam I could really kick myself over as I thought it was wrong when I answered it, but I didn't have any better suggestions. I have now found that my initial feeling of what the right answer (Before I changed my mind) was indeed correct however at the time I wasn't 100% sure. Obviously I cannot go into detail, but guys if you are taking this exam make sure you read material from a variety of sources!!

That one mark may have got me a pass dead on the 700 button. However if I passed with a 700 I would have probably called it a close shave and thought "Oh well onto the next one". But as I have failed by 1 mark (At least I think it was 1 mark), it makes me review my weaknesses, go back and strengthen my knowledge in the subject.

In a way the fail has done me a favour by pointing out the knowledge I was lacking in important fundamental concepts required for administering MS server 03. Don't get me wrong I didn't see it this way when I saw my fail on the screen. I was like "Son of B!#?@, you piece of #@!?" if you get what I mean icon_wink.gif
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    I hear ya buddy.

Good luck with the retake - I'm up in about 3 weeks.

Let us know how you get on! icon_cool.gif
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
    gateway wrote: »
    I hear ya buddy.

Good luck with the retake - I'm up in about 3 weeks.

Let us know how you get on! icon_cool.gif

Cheers, I will let you know how I get on. Best of luck to you mate!!
    Hi Guys

Just to let you know, today I passed 70-294 and am now an MCSE!!! WAHOO!!! icon_thumright.gif

As I brought the material about a year back for 70-298 I am going to do that before upgrading to MCITP. I can also add the :S on my MCSE if I pass that as I already have 70-299.

I did have to think about whether I was going to do 70-298, or just move onto the MCITP upgrade path. But I thought just for completion and the fact I have the study material already I might as well go for it.

Judging by what others have said on here, 70-298 builds on 70-299, so it shouldn't take me too long to study and hopefully pass!!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on obtaining your MCSE!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    fly2dw wrote: »
    I did have to think about whether I was going to do 70-298, or just move onto the MCITP upgrade path. But I thought just for completion and the fact I have the study material already I might as well go for it.

Congrats on the MCSE. I've been told that the :S doesn't mean a whole lot, but I want it just to have it. Maybe someday it will be that deciding factor?
  • rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Isn't the 70-298 the required exam to fulfill the Design section of MCSE and the 70-299 the elective exam that qualifies for the Security specialization?
    I was under the impression that you had to pass the 70-298 to meet the design requirement of MCSE. I could be mistaken, but I could swear you have to have 70-298 for MCSE; otherwise 70-297.
    rob7278 wrote: »
    Isn't the 70-298 the required exam to fulfill the Design section of MCSE and the 70-299 the elective exam that qualifies for the Security specialization?
    I was under the impression that you had to pass the 70-298 to meet the design requirement of MCSE. I could be mistaken, but I could swear you have to have 70-298 for MCSE; otherwise 70-297.

There are 3 tests that fall under design, and the 298 is one of them. I forget the other 2 because I don't care about them. One is like advanced AD configuration and the other is something for the messaging credential.
  • rob7278rob7278 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thats what I thought- you have to pass either 70-297, 70-298 or 70-285 to complete the design requirement in order to complete the MCSE; So if you did the 70-299 then you actually wouldn't have earned the MCSE yet- as you would still need to pass a design exam.
    It doesn't sound like it's a huge deal, because the original poster was planning on taking the 70-298 anyway; I am only questioning this because I have failed both the 70-293 and the 70-294 (actually failed the 70-294 today- again) and was planning to start on the 70-298 once I finally pass these exams.
    So I got confused as to which exam was required for MCSE and which exam adds the security specialization; 70-298 is needed for MCSE and 70-299 is needed for security specialization, right?

Congrats on the passed 70-294, I have failed it twice now icon_sad.gif
    rob7278 wrote: »
    Thats what I thought- you have to pass either 70-297, 70-298 or 70-285 to complete the design requirement in order to complete the MCSE; So if you did the 70-299 then you actually wouldn't have earned the MCSE yet- as you would still need to pass a design exam.
    It doesn't sound like it's a huge deal, because the original poster was planning on taking the 70-298 anyway; I am only questioning this because I have failed both the 70-293 and the 70-294 (actually failed the 70-294 today- again) and was planning to start on the 70-298 once I finally pass these exams.
    So I got confused as to which exam was required for MCSE and which exam adds the security specialization; 70-298 is needed for MCSE and 70-299 is needed for security specialization, right?

Congrats on the passed 70-294, I have failed it twice now icon_sad.gif

Thanks guys!!

Thanks Rob and you are indeed correct.

Actually I remember when I passed 70-299 I thought I have done this the wrong way round as I will still need 70-298 in the future because 70-299 does not fulfil the requirement for MCSE status as you have mentioned.

However recently I was chatting with some friends and they said only 70-294 and you can get your MCSE and then 70-298 to get :S. I totally forgot that this is not true as I passed 70-299 ages ago. I actually checked my transcript and I do not have MCSE yet.

Sorry for the false alarm guys. I feel I have done so many Microsoft certs and still not come to the end of the MCSE journey, that I must have had a moment of wishful thinking! icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh well onto 70-298. icon_study.gif
  • kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Failed this bad boy twice.

I have used transcenders,test out,sybex,mspress to no avail. I have improved in the areas that I was weak in but group policy still evades me.

i guess third time will be the charm.. i wonder if i should wait untill the 2nd shot is offered again or just move on and come back to this one later
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass, good luck on the 298
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
    Thank you kind sirs!

In regards to this:
    Failed this bad boy twice.

I have used transcenders,test out,sybex,mspress to no avail. I have improved in the areas that I was weak in but group policy still evades me.

i guess third time will be the charm.. i wonder if i should wait untill the 2nd shot is offered again or just move on and come back to this one later

Are you failing by much? If you find you are quite close, concentrate on the exam sims. You will probably find that you know the material, but the actual questions are slipping you up. Use the exam sims to help you understand the questions. Make sure you understand why the incorrect answers are incorrect and why the correct answer is correct. I know that sounds obvious, but the majority of exam sims will show you why you were wrong, pay attention to that. You usually find you know the answer but you misread the question. I used Self Test which was pretty good. Keep at it!! Don't give up!! icon_thumright.gif