CCIE Exam

ArmageddonArmageddon Banned Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
After one achieves the CCNP cert. How long is the recommended time to go for the CCIE exams? Any input would be appreciated. icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are no formal requirements or prerequisites for the CCIE -- other than passing the Written Exam to gain access to the Lab Scheduling System (and then passing the Lab Exam).

And the closest thing to an experience suggestion is this quote from the Cisco Website:
    You are expected to have an in-depth understanding of the topics in the exam blueprints and strongly encouraged to have three to five years of job experience before attempting certification.
    If you're feeling lucky, go for it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    I have to second that. I know people can pass the CCIE without any on the job experience, but I think it really helps to have used these protocols in live production environments to better understand them. Things like BGP and QOS especially .
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yuriz43 wrote: »
    I have to second that. I know people can pass the CCIE without any on the job experience...

Name five people who have passed the CCIE without any job experience. I personally don't think it is possible to pass without ANY job experience at all. I shouldn't say it isn't possible but I will say that it is very highly unlikely.
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    That means i could be first then ;)

I don't work in the field at all, just me my lab and hundreds of days and nights. (reading mountins of books,whites papers,labs)
    Pulling my hair out

ATM, getting ready for the Written but my actual study plan is heavily focused more to the lab

In my mind i have it, its, just time and determination.

NEVER GIVE IN.

The more people say cant the more i say, lets see :)

better to say tried it, rather than i wonder if i could have ?

:)

anyways off for a long weekend, weekends is where i get most of my study done, ATM i average around 40 to 60 hours a week during/after work.

icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    out of curiosity, if you dont work in the field, why are you going for the IE?

is it something your trying to get to achieve a new job role? or something for personal pleasure? if its for personal pleasure then you sure do know how to torture yourself eh :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    knwminus wrote: »
    Name five people who have passed the CCIE without any job experience. I personally don't think it is possible to pass without ANY job experience at all. I shouldn't say it isn't possible but I will say that it is very highly unlikely.

Here's one for you ;)
    How long does it take to become a CCIE from 0? | My Etherealmind
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    knwminus wrote: »

You'd be surprised mate how many people pass used to pass v3 version of CCIE without experience or knowledge of the material just by "dumping" the whole LAB.
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    deth1k wrote: »
    You'd be surprised mate how many people pass used to pass v3 version of CCIE without experience or knowledge of the material just by "dumping" the whole LAB.

I heard about this the other day. I thought "no way that can't be" so I went and did some research...sure enough there are some (quite expensive) **** for the R&S lab. RAAAAAAAAGE.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    wtf how do you **** an 8 hour lab with real equipment?
    Have the lab book ahead of time with the solution. Hell, I could pass it right now if I had the lab book a few days ahead of time. With v4 you'd still have to get past the trouble tickets, but there's probably a **** for that too. @$*#$% dumpers, they ruin it for everyone.
  • shecoolshecool Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just want to throw another example out there for anyone that is hopeful. I work in a NOC and one of my co-workers went from his CCNA to his CCIE in about 1-2 yr (Though this was a few years back...). Prior to that, he didn't have any IT work experience. He's brilliant though, an awesome trouble shooter.

So it's possible but highly unlikely :).
    Up Next: CCDA, CCDP
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    wtf how do you **** an 8 hour lab with real equipment?

Back in v3 days there were 12 labs available AFAIK, imagine having **** of all of them and practice those for 12 hours a day over a year period, i know at least two people at work who has done it...
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Unfortunately it does seem like there were **** for V3. Which makes it VERY VERY unfair to those that actually passed it on their own....

Now, imagine if employers said, "Seeking CCIE for great job opportunity, but only if your CCIE isn't from V3...."

I sure hope they put an end to any possible **** for CCIE whether written or lab for V4....
  • yuriz43yuriz43 Member Posts: 121
    I'm not saying that I actually know anyone who has passed the CCIE without real world experience, however I am sure it is possible. With that said, I don't think many people will consider you an expert in your field without any real work experience, just my opinion.....
    Which makes it VERY VERY unfair to those that actually passed it on their own....
    Job interviews are the payback.

Part of the reason for the drop in active CCIEs is probably that the **** and **** camp CCIEs couldn't get or keep a job and can't afford to buy a **** and pay for a CCIE Written exam to re-certify. :D
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Job interviews are the payback.

Part of the reason for the drop in active CCIEs is probably that the **** and **** camp CCIEs couldn't get or keep a job and can't afford to buy a **** and pay for a CCIE Written exam to re-certify. :D

So true.

Any seasoned CCNA and CCNP that's actually interviewing a newbie CCIE could easily figure out if this guy knows what he's talking about.

I applaud anyone who can obtain the CCIE with no real world experience honestly, then they are talented enough to get CCNA/CCNP level jobs and gain experience.

It's the 18 year old kids who show up with CCIE# that I'm a little concerned about, that just wants $$$$......

Looks like Cisco Live is going to be making some interesting announcements.....

I'm hoping one of them is the $1000 exam down from $1400. That's just a rumor now, but I'm hoping it's true.
    Nuul wrote: »
    I'm hoping one of them is the $1000 exam down from $1400. That's just a rumor now, but I'm hoping it's true.
    I'm hoping they keep the Lab at $1400 and use the money to install dual monitors in the Lab since the Lab Exam & Diagrams are now electronic/onscreen.
    I'm hoping they keep the Lab at $1400 and use the money to install dual monitors in the Lab since the Lab Exam & Diagrams are now electronic/onscreen.

That too. Or they could go old school and just print them out like they used to. That's what, $2 in paper lol.

Obviously I've never seen the CCIE lab. But if I were Cisco, knowing how prestigious this program is, and it is a money maker for Cisco right?

I'd hope the lab equipment would be high end to give the exam takers the best of the best.

I'm talking high end logitech keyboards, not cheap $20 keyboards that you get as give-aways when you buy a PC.

High end $100+ logitech mouse, so it feels good in your hand.

High end dual monitor 1080p like you said, so you can get the best real estate possible so you can quickly and easily glance at the exam questions, lab scenarios etc etc....

High end chairs that don't squeak and conforms to your body....

Considering there's only so many places you can take the exam, would this not be asking too much??? Surely it can't really cost Cisco that much money?
  • SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Sorry for the late reply, been studying ;)

The reason i do it,

1) I love it, the possibility's of communication seem to be endless :)

2) I find in other jobs once i learn it i get bored.

3) I am 42 this year, in my mind i am 18 ;)

4) If i find a job or see something i am interested in i would move. (1 week to go for my ten years in the current job, yeah 2 months long service for me)

5) My dream is to work in a large service provider, with a group of like minded (obsessed) people, maybe a Scott Morris :)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So true.

Any seasoned CCNA and CCNP that's actually interviewing a newbie CCIE could easily figure out if this guy knows what he's talking about.

I applaud anyone who can obtain the CCIE with no real world experience honestly, then they are talented enough to get CCNA/CCNP level jobs and gain experience.

It's the 18 year old kids who show up with CCIE# that I'm a little concerned about, that just wants $$$$......

What's wrong with wanting money? I do networking because it is challenging, but I would be much less inclined to do it if I capped out in the desktop support range.

Then again, you don't need an IE to make 100k+ if you are good enough.

It is good to keep in mind that at BEST a certification/degree will land you an interview, not the job. So the people who **** even the lab (wtf I still cant believe people can do that...) will not be able to keep up with a trained CCNA with people skills in the job interview.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.