Unable to join pc to doamin.

dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am going through the labs of MS press book, In Chapter 5 "Implementing a Network Infrastructure". on exercise 1 of Lesson 1, I have installed Active Directory on Computer1 but couldnt join computer2 into domain1.local as explained in Execrise 3.

Computer1 has the following roles installed: DNS, Domain Controller, with static IP address of 192.168.0.1/24.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Comments

• gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Make sure you have dns suffix on client pc (if DHCP is not providing it), also ensure the client pc has the DNS servers IP in its TCP/IP config. Also and I'm guessing you have already done this, check connectivity between client and DC
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is a file in the system32 folder on the client machine (I believe it is netsetup.log) it will contain all the messages of your client trying to join to the domain and you can see exactly where it is failing out.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dfjama wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am going through the labs of MS press book, In Chapter 5 "Implementing a Network Infrastructure". on exercise 1 of Lesson 1, I have installed Active Directory on Computer1 but couldnt join computer2 into domain1.local as explained in Execrise 3.

Computer1 has the following roles installed: DNS, Domain Controller, with static IP address of 192.168.0.1/24.

Your feedback is much appreciated.

2 most common errors:

1. When you run IPCONFIG /ALL on PC1 is the DNS server entry set to 127.0.0.1 or to its own IP address?

2. When you run IPCONFIG /ALL on Computer2 is the DNS server entry set to the IP address of Computer1?

If the answer to either of these is "no" then fix that and try again. If the answer to both of these questions is yes then please run

PING domain1.local on both computers and let us know the result.
  • dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Gateway...

All you said has already been checked, but I typed domain1 without .local and it accepted, but I want to know the reason it accepted domain1 and not accepting domain1.local.

The DNS suffix of both the server and client has domain1.local associated with the hostname.
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I've ran into that issue before too. I'm not sure what the cause of it is.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would recommend reviewing your DNS settings. And always make sure the client is using the DC as its primary DNS. And check out those logs mentioned earlier:)
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks Gateway...

All you said has already been checked, but I typed domain1 without .local and it accepted, but I want to know the reason it accepted domain1 and not accepting domain1.local.

The DNS suffix of both the server and client has domain1.local associated with the hostname.

sometimes you can get away with just the name, others you need to add the extension. Something to do with DNS settings, but I'm not sure which ones.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Gateway...

STOP RIGHT NOW!!! This is a DNS issue and you are resolving the domain via netbios. There is something wrong and you need to figure it out.

If you proceded with something like this in a production environment you would be SOL in 6 mos when things start breaking and you cannot figure out why because the .local issue was forgotten.

You need to perform this lab properly. Check your zones in DNS and make sure you have all the required entries under _msdcs, etc. Try running NETDIAG /FIX to see if that helps.

Description of the Netdiag /fix Switch

I have personally had to redo the AD at 3 locations I can think of because the guy who installed it did so without DNS working properly.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    NETDIAG /FIX

I <3 that command :)
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Try running NETDIAG /FIX to see if that helps.

+1
    Has helped me out several times.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't believe I have used this command before. I will have to give it a try sometime. Can anyone elaborate on how it works? The KB wasn't very descriptive.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't believe I have used this command before. I will have to give it a try sometime. Can anyone elaborate on how it works? The KB wasn't very descriptive.

I've only used it in a lab environment. Basically it fixes any inconsistencies with DNS as it pertains to domains and domain controllers.
    Netdiag /fix switch is very useful tool to correct issues with DNS and domain controller tests. 1. DNS Test: If the computer is a domain controller, Netdiag verifies all the DNS entries in the Netlogon.dns file to determine if they are correct and updates the appropriate entries if there is a problem. 2. Domain Controller Test: If the domain GUID cached in a local computer on your primary domain is different than the domain GUID saved in a domain controller, Netdiag tries to update the domain GUID on the local computer.