New to Forum

raptor63raptor63 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just signed up and wanted to say hello. I plan on 71 soon but must study to assure passing. I will be reviewing post and thanks in advance for any help I receive.

I see there is a 270 forum I am going to concentrate in that forum and will return to this one after passing 270 or when I study for 271

(From MCDST)

Hi all
I have finally decided to pursue my Cert. Thought about it 10 years ago and did not follow through. Thanks for any help in advance. I want to take my 270 by the end of July. This is the best forums I have seen.

This is great info!!
Currently studying 07-271 :D

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to TE!
    Be sure to check through this forum for answers to your questions. A lot of people have been through the same path your going. Don't hesitate to ask questions as others may have the same questions (or variations of the same question) as you have. There are a lot of knowledgable people here at TE.
    Be sure to check out the sticky thread for resources in this forum as I've heard it's really helpful.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    raptor63 wrote: »
    I see there is a 270 forum I am going to concentrate in that forum and will return to this one after passing 270 or when I study for 271

Unless there is a real reason to take the 270 and the 271 I would urge against it. Although the 271 lacks the depth of the 270 many of the objectives are the same. If you are, for example, studying for the MCDST and MCSA/MCSE I would suggest you take the 271, 272, 680 Windows 7. This way you will have your MCP on Win XP and still have a more up to date OS exam as well.

MCDST
    MCSA
    (another elective such as SharePoint)
    MCSE

I see much better value in your money having higher level certification rather than getting 2 XP certs.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to TE! icon_cool.gif

Through the end of the year anyone earning the A+ still gets a "lifetime" certification.... so your "old school" A+ still counts as a Certification.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the club :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to TE! icon_cheers.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MCDST
    MCSA
    (another elective such as SharePoint)
    MCSE

I see much better value in your money having higher level certification rather than getting 2 XP certs.

The 271/272 covers workstation problems. The 270, despite being titled XP, seems mostly based on a server enviornment. You will we walking into a lot of things that you wouldn't think you should find. Most of those things will show up again on the 290 though. So even if you skipped the 270, I don't think you would miss a whole lot.

If I could do it again, I might take this approach. But I don't regret the way I went.

Welcome to TE and good luck with your studies.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • raptor63raptor63 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have all ready gotten some wonderful help here. I will be takeing my 271 and 272 for my MCDST
    Currently studying 07-271 :D
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome

I am a new member myself, and found the forum to be very helpful.
    Unless there is a real reason to take the 270 and the 271 I would urge against it. Although the 271 lacks the depth of the 270 many of the objectives are the same. If you are, for example, studying for the MCDST and MCSA/MCSE I would suggest you take the 271, 272, 680 Windows 7. This way you will have your MCP on Win XP and still have a more up to date OS exam as well.

Totally agree with Roberts comment here. It will be well worth you getting the Windows 7 cert 70-680 after the MCDST. 70-680 will set you up with image deployment and introduce you to server related concepts, as well as a hands on to Windows 7 OS.
    fly2dw wrote: »

Welcome to you as well.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fly2dw wrote: »
    Welcome

Totally agree with Roberts comment here. It will be well worth you getting the Windows 7 cert 70-680 after the MCDST. 70-680 will set you up with image deployment and introduce you to server related concepts, as well as a hands on to Windows 7 OS.
    If he wanted to he could just take the 70-682 and be MCITP:EDST 7 which might be a good move for him.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you do decide to take 270, do not underestimate it, it is a very challenging exam. Best of luck.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    If you do decide to take 270, do not underestimate it, it is a very challenging exam. Best of luck.

I'll second that.
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Welcome to you as well.

Sorry for late reply, did not see this post.

Thank you Devilsbane