Revamped CCVP Lab Setup

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
Well, I had some time to re-think the lab so I wiped the configs, killed the UCM VMs and started from scratch last week. Visio diagram below – I still need to document the internet cloud and remote VPN site, but that’s the new setup in a nutshell. Hoping that I can ride it out for the home stretch – CIPT2 and TUC to go. This time, as soon as I got data, VLAN, basic PSTN, and basic CM connectivity, I backed up all of the devices and virtual machines so that I can just restore everything to its core state when I mess it up (again).

On the menu for this w/e is SRST, MGCP Fallback, TEHO, CME Fallback, AAR, and CAC labs – It’s gonna be a PARTY :)

cipt2tucvisio.jpg
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dude where is your visio digram ?? I dont see it in your post?
    and good idea on the back up in pure state hahahhah spoken like a vet! ;)
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    looking good icon_smile.gif

Whats in your kit list?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□

Whats in your kit list?

It keeps evolving but I think I'm good for a while now. Would love to add a 3750 but since the NME-16ES actually runs the full 3750 EMI IOS, I’m holding off until the prices come down a tad.

HQ
    2811, PVDM2-32, VIC2-4FXO, VIC2-2FXS, VWIC-2MFT-T1, WIC-2T
    3550 EMI PoE
    3x7941s

BR1
    2811, PVDM2-32, VIC2-4FXO, VIC-4FXS/DID, VWIC-2MFT-T1, WIC-2T, AIM-CUE, Inline PSU, NME-16ES-1G-P
    2x7965s (love these)

BR2
    2811, PVDM2-32, VIC2-2FXO, VIC2-2FXS, VWIC-2MFT-E1, WIC-1T
    3550 EMI PoE
    2x7960s

VPN Site
    2651XM
    1x7941

PSTN Cloud
    IAD2431-16FXS (POTS cloud and E1 PRI termination)
    2821, PVDM2-32, VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1, EVM-HD-8FXS/DID
    1x7961 w/7914
    1xAnalog Phone (911/999)

Frame Relay Cloud / Access Server
    3640, 2xNM-4T, NM-32A

2xDell PowerEdge servers – VMWare

And a bunch of older stuff which was basically my CCNA lab @ one point in time!
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Change out two things and you are golden for a CCIE level lab. (only considering posted hardware not VM's )

1. 3550's to 3560's/70's (Queuing is different.. WRR/SRR, and more etc.)
    2. BR2 - 7960's to 7965 (or anything that supports ClearChannel and iLBC)

I know those changes are $$$ but from the looks of things you don't mind spending money on your lab.

*** Congrats on the PVDM2-32 ... those things are great to have***icon_thumright.gif
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
    Change out two things and you are golden for a CCIE level lab. (only considering posted hardware not VM's )

1. 3550's to 3560's/70's (Queuing is different.. WRR/SRR, and more etc.)
    2. BR2 - 7960's to 7965 (or anything that supports ClearChannel and iLBC)

I know those changes are $$$ but from the looks of things you don't mind spending money on your lab.

*** Congrats on the PVDM2-32 ... those things are great to have***icon_thumright.gif

Thanks man, your input is greatly appreciated! :)

Here’s what I have on the servers right now:
    Dell PowerEdge w/2x Xeon Quad CPUs, 8GB RAM, Server 2003R2 Enterprise x64
    -CUCM7PUB, CUCM7SUB, CUC7

Dell PowerEdge w/1x Xeon Quad CPU, 4GB RAM, Server 2003R2 Enterprise x64
    -CUCCX7, CUPS7 (these are built but not integrated yet)

And yeah, I’m dying to upgrade the switches – Definitely want a few more 7965s too. I actually screwed myself with the first 2 that I purchased – Didn’t realized that the 3550s didn’t support 802.3af PoE, so that’s why BR1 has the updated switch and shiny new phones (and not HQ)! ooops!
    Some pics of 2 the 3 exquisitely crafted cisco "pillars" – OK maybe not, but it does save desk space for other things like my laptop, energy drinks, and fritos. :)

dsc00044ka.jpg

dsc00045i.jpg
    pitviper you are one sick! $#%^#^$%^##^ haahabowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gif

what an amazing home lab. man that cost some bucks huh? woowowoow
    those phones are minimium 100.00 bucks each wowoow
    thanks for your map great ideas ;)
    2811 wow aren they like 2,000 each ????
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I admire your taste in figures to state the obvious. Note one Mr. Hanky figure indicating that you have quite a lot of expensive sh*t there. ROTFLMAO. :)

Oh and I love the binary clock. I have one that I made with neon lights and discrete TTL gate chips years ago. To big for a desk however. Your lab is simply killer.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    Thanks guys. It’s amazing the deals that you can get on ebay if you have some time on your side. I pretty much pieced everything together over the last year and a half or so. I spend a ton of time labbing, whether it be for studies, or to test something out for work, so it’s worth every penny to me.
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Oh and I love the binary clock. I have one that I made with neon lights and discrete TTL gate chips years ago. To big for a desk however.

Nice!! Everyone should have at least one binary clock :)
    pitviper ccvp guru dude

is there a way without opening up a 1760 to find if it has a DSP module?
    already without opening up the case?
    thanks
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    itdaddy wrote: »
    is there a way without opening up a 1760 to find if it has a DSP module?
    show diag

Packet Voice DSP Module Slot 0:
    Hardware Revision : 2.2
    Part Number : 73−3815−01
    Board Revision : A0
    Deviation Number : 0−0
    Fab Version : 02
    PCB Serial Number : ICP042200ET
    RMA Test History : 00
    RMA Number : 0−0−0−0
    RMA History : 00
    Processor type : 02
    Number of DSP's : 2
    Type of DSP : TMS320C549
    EEPROM format version 4
    EEPROM contents (hex):
    0x00: 04 FF 40 01 5B 41 02 02 82 49 0E E7 01 42 41 30
    0x10: 80 00 00 00 00 02 02 C1 8B 49 43 50 30 34 32 32
    0x20: 30 30 45 54 03 00 81 00 00 00 00 04 00 09 02 FF

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Also (assuming that you are running a voice IOS) there are a couple of LEDs on the front of the 1760 that say "PVDM x OK" that will illuminate if one or more of the banks are occupied.
    crap mikej I did that and nothing well will have to try all 5of my 1760s
    thanks now I now what to look for but by the looks of things it looks
    self explanatory ahha thanks guys! fantastic! ;)
    thanks pitviper for your drawing looks way cool!
    pitviper wrote: »
    Nice!! Everyone should have at least one binary clock :)

I've got a binary wrist watch does that count?

this one :-
    http://www.gadgetsnews.co.uk/images/binary_watch_1.jpg
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
    i've got a binary wrist watch does that count?

hell yeah! :)
    pitviper you are right on the front of my 1760s I do have LEDs that light up when I have a PVDM haahha I just saw them hahaha
    thanks and it sucks all 5 of my 1760s have no pvdm hah
    oh well I saw a pvdm 256-4 for like 65 bucks on ebay
    will get one thanks bud ;)
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    itdaddy make sure you check carefully because some of those sellers are not always sure what they they are selling. They mix and match so double check before you plug it in. Both I and a friend ended up with substitute PVDM2-8's from different vendors no less. Useless on a 1760 but they will plug in if you are not paying attention.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-12.bin

hey pitviper I just got my cisco 2610xm router in and it has this image on it. is this what it needs and ip based image? to work as a gatekeeper?

thanks
    itdaddy wrote: »
    c2600-ipbasek9-mz.124-12.bin

hey pitviper I just got my cisco 2610xm router in and it has this image on it. is this what it needs and ip based image? to work as a gatekeeper?

thanks

You need at least an IP VOICE feature set, maybe higher. Search for the "feature navigator" on Cisco.com. Look for H.323 Gatekeeper.
    12.4(25b) INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIP GW, TDMIP GW c2600-ipvoice_ivs-mz.124-25b.bin 128 32
    12.4(25b) INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIPGW, TDMIP GW AES c2600-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-25b.bin 128 32
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    pitviper wrote: »
    12.4(25b) INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIP GW, TDMIP GW c2600-ipvoice_ivs-mz.124-25b.bin 128 32
    12.4(25b) INT VOICE/VIDEO, IPIPGW, TDMIP GW AES c2600-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-25b.bin 128 32

What is the minimum Router model this IOS will support?

Your toys are bad ass :)
    What is the minimum Router model this IOS will support?

Your toys are bad ass :)

Looking here :-
    Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems

shows that 2610XM is minimum for those images.
    Looks like these will run on a 2600 non-XM - Pretty old, so no idea if anything is missing (or different):

12.3(26) IP/H323 c2600-ix-mz.123-26.bin 48 16
    12.3(26) IP/H323 PLUS BASIC c2600-is3x-mz.123-26.bin 64 16
    Pit
    so the 12.4 IOS you first suggested will work on my 2610XM? just to make sure thanks a lot icon_thumright.gif
    :so these willl work?
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    I see that you have the book "Cisco Unity Deployment and Solutions Guide." It's not technically part of the CCVP track, but it seems like it would be helpful in understanding Unity. What did you think of the book? Do you think it's essential in the VP track?
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I see that you have the book "Cisco Unity Deployment and Solutions Guide." It's not technically part of the CCVP track, but it seems like it would be helpful in understanding Unity. What did you think of the book? Do you think it's essential in the VP track?

It's definitely a good book but a bit overkill for the CCVP for sure. CIPT1 will test you on the basics of integration, and TUC on troubleshooting integration, but neither go much deeper then the initial setup (so far at least) and @ the CCIE:Voice level, you're going to want to focus on Unity Connection. There are a few PDFs on the Cisco site with step by step details for initial integration with CUCM - those will be helpful from a CCVP perspective for sure.

I picked up the book used (<$20) because I needed an indepth resource for comparing the pros and cons of a voice mail deployment w/m$ Exchange data store. Long story short, it's still an ongoing project but we're past the voicemial piece and Unity Connection is where it's at :)

Now if you have the opportunity to work with Unity - I think that this book would be a must have reference.
    I decided to tweak the lab a little bit so here are the latest (and hopefully final!) updates:

Replaced the 2 3550 PoEs with 3560 PoEs, replaced BR2’s phones w/7941s, and switched to a single router (2821) PSTN solution. The IAD was nice but I didn’t really need that many analog connections for the IE voice workbooks (still have 8 simulated POTS lines w/the EVM-HD in the 2821).

lab01.jpg

lab02l.jpg

(Figured that I’s take pics now while it’s still neat as I just re-cabled everything this w/e) :)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Once I get money, I'm building that! What is that at the top of the lower section?

My... I dream of having stuff like that! It would make my weekends amazing!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    :)
    chmorin wrote: »
    What is that at the top of the lower section?

It's a 3640 - I'm using it as my Frame-Relay cloud (NM-4Ts on the left) and access server (NM-32A lower right w/the 2 octal cables).