What to do??

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm thinking of studying for the Security+ exam before the lifetime runs out at the end of this year. I went into my community college and spoke with one of the It directors and told her that I had no experience but had my A+ and Net+ exams which i studied for on my own. I told her if there was a class that they offered in which i could get some hands on because i am having trouble for a job because of my lack of experience. She told me that another certification would only hurt me because they would think im a paper chaser...She then refered me to a class called Computer Security and Forensic Investigation, my question is if i get the Sec+ cert will that hurt me toward getting a job or will it do better for me even though i dont have any job experience in IT?

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The simple answer is, no! Get it while it's lifetime, it's not like you have to put it on your resume if you don't want to.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I agree with Veritas's simple answer - no.

From a bigger picture, degrees are valuable. If you have a degree, you'll earn more money than someone doing the same job without a degree. Long term, the degree is worthwhile.

One of the benefits of a degree is that it never expires. Once you earn it, you have it forever. Of course, the same can be said for the Security+ exam... at least until the end of the year.

Many training and college programs include packages of A+, Network+, and Security+. This is partially driven by DoD requirements that certain personnel working in IT have one or more of these certifications. It also shows a natural progression of increasing knowledge - A+, then Network+, then Security+.

Last, in today's high threat computing environment, security knowledge is very valuable for many managers. The Security+, CISSP, and other security certifications are highly valued even if they don't apply directly to an advertised job.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364

Security+ Blog
  • fly2dwfly2dw Member Posts: 122 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of studying for the Security+ exam before the lifetime runs out at the end of this year. I went into my community college and spoke with one of the It directors and told her that I had no experience but had my A+ and Net+ exams which i studied for on my own. I told her if there was a class that they offered in which i could get some hands on because i am having trouble for a job because of my lack of experience. She told me that another certification would only hurt me because they would think im a paper chaser...She then refered me to a class called Computer Security and Forensic Investigation, my question is if i get the Sec+ cert will that hurt me toward getting a job or will it do better for me even though i dont have any job experience in IT?

Thanks for you help.

I agree with the other 2 posts on here. I don't think sec+ will do anything negative to your CV and job chances. I think it may help increase them. I don't agree with you being called a paper chaser because you are getting certs without experience. Not for Comptia certs! They are entry level and designed so that when you get them, you are not going for a position in I.T. blind. In effect they are trying to bring you up to speed to get into helpdesk and field support positions, maybe even junior network/server admins, however this probably does depend on experience.

Some certs are like instruction manuals, it makes sense to read them before doing it for real. Other certs do get quite in-depth and obviously it helps to have prerequisites like X amount of experience; actually working in the specific area, and other certs/qualifications before doing them. But with Comptia I don't think this is the case. I could understand if it was a MCSE or a CCNA, (Or higher), as the individual maybe certified but without experience, who would let them near their infrastructure?

Go for the sec+ icon_thumright.gif
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    People should never disregard a paper cert, it shows initiative. You probably won't get a job over someone with experience but you should easily get a job over other people with no experience or certs. She is right in saying they can harm your chances though, but that depends on who is looking at your CV as you can appear to be a jack of all trades, I leave plenty off my CV for that reason.
  • DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys made good points, I have ordered my Sec+ book and also signed up for some general ed. classes to get an associates degree. Classes dont start until August so i have a good month and a half to study for this exam...Thanks alot fellas for the advise.
    You guys made good points, I have ordered my Sec+ book and also signed up for some general ed. classes to get an associates degree. Classes dont start until August so i have a good month and a half to study for this exam...Thanks alot fellas for the advise.

No problem. Best of luck!!
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Quick digression if I may, the Sec+ is still lifetime until the end of the year? If so I will commence my happy dance and finish reading Darril's book. Off to make some coffee, it's been a long night.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    Quick digression if I may, the Sec+ is still lifetime until the end of the year? If so I will commence my happy dance and finish reading Darril's book. Off to make some coffee, it's been a long night.

Yep sec+ is lifetime up until (Or on) 31/12/10, you can commence happy dance now icon_thumright.gif . Okay that is enough of that now go back to reading!!

Check it out here dude:

CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    She told me that another certification would only hurt me because they would think im a paper chaser...She then refered me to a class called Computer Security and Forensic Investigation

She probably said that just to get you to enroll. The Sec+ can be obtained without taking any classes. All you need is a few good books and the dedication to learn. Oh and time.
  • OPRYSTAROPRYSTAR Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in a role involved in the hiring process of entry level IT positions. There is no foreseeable way another cert can HURT you. It looks much better that you are continuously working on something beneficial while trying to break into the field, rather than allowing your mind to be dormant. In addition, any industry related course that you master (a high GPA), will also be a benefit. Some colleges and technical schools offer course directly related to specific certs. If you want a course that focuses on Security+, does this “Computer Security and Forensic Investigation” course offer that? Do not discount the value of the any college IT course, but for this specific cert, consider the input of those who have passed it. Most recommend Darril’s book “CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead.” Of course, he posts on this forum as well. (He has even posted a reply in this thread.)

I want to add something as well. A degree is major, certs are great, but the buck simply does not stop there. I also look at attitude and personality, and how adaptive and flexible a candidate is. Practically anyone with a passion for this work can learn it alongside a patient mentor. The issue is how quickly the company needs the candidate to be working without close supervision. This is where experience comes in. Even still, a candidate that is not a team player, or one that potentially will not “fit in” with the rest of the group is even a larger concern for the long term. You did not mention your age or whether you have a degree. Still, my advice is to go after the cert! Like a degree, it shows you will apply yourself. It shows you are able to learn the material. It shows you are goal oriented and finish projects that you start. All of these are positive traits hiring managers look for. Don’t get me wrong, a degree, especially a B.S. is highly valuable to most hiring managers, and experience greatly increases that value. The trump card lies with the candidate who posses all three – a degree (in the field), certs related to the job applied for, and a minimum of two years experience (in the field). Still, there is a balance. Typically, the more requirements a position asks for, the more that position should pay. Entry level jobs typically do not pay a great deal, and therefore the requirements are minimal. Continue your pursuit for an IT position, but also continue your education and knowledge. Practice interviewing and selling yourself. While there are no guarantees, you will at least be steadily improving your likelihood that you will land that dream job.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The simple answer is, no! Get it while it's lifetime, it's not like you have to put it on your resume if you don't want to.

I agree. Schooling is important, don't get me wrong. But I expect she was just trying to recruit you to the school so that she gets more numbers and the department gets more money in the budget.

I don't think you would get the label of paper chaser by having too many certifications. And if you did, wouldn't a degree just add to that, as all it is is another piece of paper?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • givenchygivenchy Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am totally agree with Devilsbane as schooling is more important than certifications. As far as certifications importance when you need to go for a particular job then you need to do certification to shine your academic record.
    givenchy wrote: »
    I am totally agree with Devilsbane as schooling is more important than certifications. As far as certifications importance when you need to go for a particular job then you need to do certification to shine your academic record.

Maybe I didn't make my post clear enough. I believe schooling is important, but I believe certifications are more important. Need the degree to get past the goons, but need the certifications (and more importantly, the knowledge gained from working on them) to succeed at the job.
  • froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't agree with the term paper chaser. Certs are supposed to validate your knowledge. I am university student and I find preparation for certs equally knowledgeable as my university classes.
    Read through everyones advice and bought Darrils book and im going to start reading it, im aiming to finish it up before my classes begin next month, that way i will have some certs under my belt and be on track to getting a degree...I appreciate everyones advice it really has helped me throughout the course of my certifications.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully you're going for an AS and not an AAS. The AAS will help you to get a technical job now but if you decide to pursue a bachelors degree then the AAS doesn't transfer as well.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Hopefully you're going for an AS and not an AAS. The AAS will help you to get a technical job now but if you decide to pursue a bachelors degree then the AAS doesn't transfer as well.

Whats the difference between an AS and an AAS? Unless that was a typo.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Whats the difference between an AS and an AAS? Unless that was a typo.
    The AAS is Applied Associates of Science where the AS is an Associate of Science. The main diference is that the AAS aims to teach you how todo the job, The AS you take more of the gened classes which will transfer if you decide to go for a Bachelors degree later. Nothing against the AAS really as it'll probably get your foot in the door really quickly to start your career.
    Depends upon if the OP sees himself going for a higher degree further down the road.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't realize the CompTIA lifetime thing was ending this year. Maybe I will take a break from MCITP and try to knock out my CompTIA exams by the end of the year.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I didn't realize the CompTIA lifetime thing was ending this year. Maybe I will take a break from MCITP and try to knock out my CompTIA exams by the end of the year.

IMO you should at least do S+. IMO it really isn't that hard of an exam (my opinion is based off the material I have read and such). You could pass it within a month or so then get right back to the MS train. A+ and N+ give less bang for the buck. S+ is the only exam of theirs that I have even been asked did I have (which I don't).

You could do all 3 (A+, N+, and S+) but don't spend too much money on material or too much time on them. IMO they aren't going to improve your marketability too much. If I could, I would trade my A+ and N+ for CCDA and MCP any day of the week. The KNOWLEDGE will be helpful but the certs maybe not so much (with the S+ not being included in the later part of that statement).
    knwminus wrote: »
    IMO you should at least do S+. IMO it really isn't that hard of an exam (my opinion is based off the material I have read and such). You could pass it within a month or so then get right back to the MS train. A+ and N+ give less bang for the buck. S+ is the only exam of theirs that I have even been asked did I have (which I don't).

You could do all 3 (A+, N+, and S+) but don't spend too much money on material or too much time on them. IMO they aren't going to improve your marketability too much. If I could, I would trade my A+ and N+ for CCDA and MCP any day of the week.

I am transfering into WGU after my associates so I will need to do all three regardless. I subscribe to Safari Books Online so I have access to tons of study material. Because I am a student, I get Testout products super cheap and because I am a vet, I get my exam cost reimbursed through my GI Bill.
    WGU PROGRESS

I am transfering into WGU after my associates so I will need to do all three regardless. I subscribe to Safari Books Online so I have access to tons of study material. Because I am a student, I get Testout products super cheap and because I am a vet, I get my exam cost reimbursed through my GI Bill.

Well Damn lol! If that's the case then you could probably knock out all 3 in a month each (maybe a little more or less) if you wanted to.
    Well Damn lol! If that's the case then you could probably knock out all 3 in a month each (maybe a little more or less) if you wanted to.

I actually already have the A+ and Network+ Mike Meyers All-in-one and Passport books in my library at home and I have a hardware class this fall that covers the A+ exam.

I have already put in two weeks of studying into my MS 70-640 exam so I am going to finish that up before diving into CompTIA stuff so that time wasn't wasted but I am definatly going to knock these three out this year. I am glad I stumbled across this thread. Thanks for the great info!
    WGU PROGRESS

I actually already have the A+ and Network+ Mike Meyers All-in-one and Passport books in my library at home and I have a hardware class this fall that covers the A+ exam.

I have already put in two weeks of studying into my MS 70-640 exam so I am going to finish that up before diving into CompTIA stuff so that time wasn't wasted but I am definatly going to knock these three out this year. I am glad I stumbled across this thread. Thanks for the great info!

NP. When I took the A+ it was pretty easy. Network+ was much harder (although i had very little knowledge of networking). I think the new N+ is tougher than when I took it. I am not saying it will be hard but keep in mind that the N+ (IMO) was tougher both parts of the A+ combined. You shouldn't have a problem if you have good study material. I used the Tan books back in the day.
    I am not saying it will be hard but keep in mind that the N+ (IMO) was tougher both parts of the A+ combined.

I took the 2009 version last November. It was no walk in the park. Nearly all of the questions required an educated guess. I would narrow it down to 2 answers, and then debate which one was more correct because I would have considered them both to be acceptable answers. Either I am an excellent guesser, or I knew my stuff because I ended up with a score of 840/900 which I think was better than I did on either of my A+'s (granted I actually studied for Net+)

EDIT:

Sec+ seems a lot easier than net+, but I think this is only because I have lots of other knowledge now. I took the net+ nearly off of the street, and now I have been in the loop for a year and have studied and taken down several beasts, so I can easily pick up the underlying concepts.
    I'm actually studying for the Sec+ right now, I'm on chapter 4 and i finished my Net+ in May. I studied Lammle's book and was very helpfull, I think that it included alot of material that im reading in the Sec+ book from Darril.
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Since you have the A+ and Network+ you're at an advantage.

Purchase Darril Gibsons book and read it through. Study hard and you'll do fine! I don't feel like the Security+ is quite as broad as the A+ is. Study hard!!!

Good luck!
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson