Options

Delegation or Stubzone

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Which is better to use and why? They seem to do the same thing, except that a stub zone can automatically configure itself while a delegation needs to be maunally configured. Is that all?
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This'll be a good read >> How DNS Works: Domain Name System(DNS)
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Well in terms of passing the test it is all about keywords. If they mention minimum administrative effort I would say stub zone if they mention limit zone transfer traffic I would say delegation.... Now with that said.... I had Q's that mentioned both of these key words and by saying that i am probably flirting with violation of the NDA but I am not sure I got those questions right so read up and get familar with all the possibilities.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is how I am understanding it:

Stub-zones are dynamically updated and do not require permission from the other zone to query the appropriate records. Stub-zone traffic is much smaller since it only pulls SOA, NS, and A records for the name servers of the target zone.

Delegation zones are not dynamically updated and require permission from the parent/root zone in order to query the necessary records. Delegations are created from the parent/root zone. So if I own techexams.net and I want to delegate mcse.techexams.net to you which is a child domain that you created, I create a delegation to mcse.techexams.net and point it to your name servers. Also, I dont think delegation zones cannot be AD integrated which sucks because AD replication is most awesome.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    This is how I am understanding it:

Stub-zones are dynamically updated and do not require permission from the other zone to query the appropriate records. Stub-zone traffic is much smaller since it only pulls SOA, NS, and A records for the name servers of the target zone.

Delegation zones are not dynamically updated and require permission from the parent/root zone in order to query the necessary records. Delegations are created from the parent/root zone. So if I own techexams.net and I want to delegate mcse.techexams.net to you which is a child domain that you created, I create a delegation to mcse.techexams.net and point it to your name servers. Also, I dont think delegation zones cannot be AD integrated which sucks because AD replication is most awesome.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

This sounds about the same as what I have learned. I'm just wondering why you would ever opt for delegation over a stub zone. The only real negative I see with a stub zone is that there are still zone transfers, but the transfers are extremely small.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As suggested to me by Robert Kaucher, I highly suggest you buy this book. I think it is a must for any Windows sysadmin that works with DNS.

DNS on Windows Server 2003, Third Edition - O'Reilly Media
  • Options
    dynamik to the rescue

Thanks