Should you include independent IT work Experience on Resume?

Johnta20Johnta20 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
By Independent experience I mean working on PC hardware/software issues for friends and select clients?

Comments

• L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    If you don't have a lot of experience I would use it. It couldn't hurt, and it's valid experience.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    yeah list it and list the stuff that you did and the times etc. Since you did not work for a comppany list it as freelance work
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Put it on your resume if you're looking to get more legitimate work similar to what freelance services you provided. Once you've got work experience at a company you may want to consider dropping it off.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Johnta20 wrote: »
    By Independent experience I mean working on PC hardware/software issues for friends and select clients?
    Dont go very specific on it unless you have a specific project that deserves it. And with the independant work you have, I would not suggest putting it on unless you need some filler. Its not bad, but it doesn't really help when you have a a good amount of other qualifications.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have other IT experience ( 2 or 3 jobs) I wouldn't list it. I would still list it if it fills in the time gap between jobs though.
    I'm personally listing some on mine as I do it on the side while working at a non IT job and still looking for an IT job. When I have more IT experience I'll be dropping it off but will still list some of the skills I've gained by doing it in the skills section.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would if I lacked experience and you can word it professionally. If you can word it right it can let potential employers know you are ambitious. Also it would help if those people could be used as references.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've tried this and never seems to get me anywhere.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown