course..

DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I recently registered for a couple of classes at my community college and i spoke with my career counselor and he said that if i wanted to pursue a Bachelors degree in I.T i would first need to have an associates degree in arts to be able to transfer over to a university that i would want to go to study I.T in. Would i need an associates in arts or science is what I'm confused about to be able to transfer over ? I have been looking at the course requirements and theres alot of humanities and biology that i would have to take to get the associates in arts....thanks a lot for the help

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    An Associates in science degree should transfer over to a 4-year school. Some community colleges have direct transfer agreements with 4-year schools, at least that is what we do in Washington state. I would look through your school's website and see what options they have. Sometimes your counselor's goals and your's don't always line up.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Here in FL the direct transfer degrees are the AA programs. Those will transfer straight to any 4 yr school in the state. The A.S. and A.A.S. degrees, not so much. The general ed courses such as english and humanities will transfer but a lot of the specialized tech classes will not.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    He's giving you good advice, enroll in school, take the "fluff" classes they require, graduate, and transfer. Now those fluff classes can come in handy a lot of times. People have tunnel vision a lot of times and are only concerned about getting into networking or servers or something very technical, but sometimes you will see jobs posted that wants somebody who has had a science background as the people you are directly supporting are scientists who are working in a lab enviroment, or in a chemical plant. At the same time it will open doors and give you options in two years when you finish your degree.

Good Luck.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I think he wants you to go for an AA degree because it contains more BS classes that will transfer easier to a 4 year school. I would speak to a recruiter at the 4 year college you eventually want to transfer to first and ask for their advice.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Associate of arts is a 2 year degree intended on transferring to a 4 year school.

Associate of Applied Sience is a degree that is intended on getting you into the field. You will take more technical IT classes, and less of the general ed classes like english and math.

I got my AAS degree in Computer Forensics, and now I am transferring it to a 4 year school to get the bachelors. What this means is that I will need to backtrack a little in my new school to pick up the generals that I skipped. But on the positive side, I already have an IT degree.

Just try to pick out a 4 year school now, and do some research to find out what will transfer and what won't. You aren't on your own, you can speak to conselors from both schools to help you. You can also talk with your program administrator (although they might be lazy and just direct you to a counselor) and of course your other students. Where I went, we all nearly transfer to the same school. So I had contacts on both sides that I could speak with.

Some schools will assign you an advisor as well. You can always use them.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So if im right i should be pursuing an associates in applied science instead of arts??
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So if im right i should be pursuing an associates in applied science instead of arts??

If you want to go for your Bachelors degree (B.A.) you should pursue your Associate of Arts (A.A.). This covers your basic General Ed courses and some degree specific courses.

Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S. or A.S.) covers mostly degree specific and technical classes with minimal General Education requirements.

In a nut shell, going for your Associate of Arts then transferring into a State University for your Bachelors is generally 4-years and goes more in-depth with your studies. The Associate in Applied Science is generally 2-years and does not go as in-depth as the Bachelors but gives you a foundation.

If you are planning on changing careers go with the A.A.S or A.S. but if you do not have a career yet go for the A.A. then B.A.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • DanielthemanDanieltheman Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok i see now, I just thought i was on the wrong track but i guess im going in the right direction. Sounds good thanks alot guys for all your help and advise, greatly appreciated.
  • josdmyerjosdmyer Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about transferring degrees and stuff like that, but I know that the school I go to and the community college that is near my house has a transfer table in place. Meaning that you take lets just say ENGL 10001 at the community college it would be ENGL 111 at the 4 year school. But lets say you take ITEC 2022 at the community college the 4 year school might not have that class so it wouldn't transfer there.

If you have the time and money then complete a degree at the community college then transfer to the 4 year school otherwise just take the classes you need to that will transfer and then transfer to that school.

On a side note you might want to complete a degree there. Right now I'm a junior in college working on my B.S. in computer science, but I have also been looking at getting an A.A.S degree at the community college that way some of the class can help me with getting certs and it shows that I have a foundation not just in computer science, but also in that area of completion.

That my 2 cents, hope it helps.

josdmyer
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    josdmyer wrote: »
    I don't know about transferring degrees and stuff like that, but I know that the school I go to and the community college that is near my house has a transfer table in place. Meaning that you take lets just say ENGL 10001 at the community college it would be ENGL 111 at the 4 year school. But lets say you take ITEC 2022 at the community college the 4 year school might not have that class so it wouldn't transfer there.

It is an articulation agreement. My community college had one as well. Basically it means that both schools got together and signed an agreement. Usually a difficult process because the 4 year school wants to make sure that before they allow the 2 year school class to go through that the student will have learned as much or more than a student taking the same class at the 4 year school.

I don't know how common they are, but there is quite the bit of "politics" done to negotiate it so I would guess fairly rare, but certainly not uncommon.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • josdmyerjosdmyer Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Devilsbane for that information it was interesting to learn.

josdmyer