Options

CBT Nuggets as a primary study source?

ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I was planning on taking the Network+ exam a while ago, but I decided to put that on hold. Now I'm in the position to start seriously looking at certs.

I have a friend who has several certifications ( Including the N10-003 ) and he says that the CBT nuggets series helped him with the Network+ and the A+, as well as the Security+ exams.

He has offered to let me use the CBT nuggets N+, but it's for the N10-003. He also told me that he's in the position to get a discount for the 2009(004) version of the CBT nuggets N+.

The real questions[tl;dr version]
Q1: Is CBT nuggets worth it
Q2: Is CBT nuggets a good study source regardless of the price
Q3: Would the older version of the N+ CBT nuggets series be sufficient, as long as I fill in the newer gaps with online resources?

Thanks. [Paragraph spacing is weird to make it easier on the eyes]

edit: After I take and pass the Network+ I plan on taking the Security+ and or Cisco certs. I'm Sort of confused on where to go after that. As of now I'm taking a AAS in college for IT security, and a lot of these certifications counts as credits towards classes in the AAS program, thus, technically saving me money. After my N+, what do guys suggest I look forward to next with security in mind?

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CBT nuggets are good but if you're a student you can get a discount for Testout/Labsim. I used it for Net+ and Sec+ and could have passed just using those. With the discount you can get the download version of Labsim for $89 (Labsim includes end of chapter questions and practice tests)
    1) Excellent product
    2) Didn't use for Net+
    3) Get new version, trying to fill in gaps is harder than you think.
    I used Labsim for Net+, the book I used was not really very good so I would probably say Labsim was my primary resource and I scored 865 on the test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ScytheX10 wrote: »
    Hi. I was planning on taking the Network+ exam a while ago, but I decided to put that on hold. Now I'm in the position to start seriously looking at certs.

I have a friend who has several certifications ( Including the N10-003 ) and he says that the CBT nuggets series helped him with the Network+ and the A+, as well as the Security+ exams.

He has offered to let me use the CBT nuggets N+, but it's for the N10-003. He also told me that he's in the position to get a discount for the 2009(004) version of the CBT nuggets N+.

The real questions
    Q1: Is CBT nuggets worth it
    Q2: Is CBT nuggets a good study source regardless of the price
    Q3: Would the older version of the N+ CBT nuggets series be sufficient, as long as I fill in the newer gaps with online resources?

First, using someone elses CBT nuggets is a breach of the agreement. Now I don't know that CBT nuggets could find out, but if they did, you could face civil and criminal penalties.

Q1: Really depends on the instructor. One guy I had a problem with. Now I've been watching videos from James Conrad and he does an excellent job.
    Q2: They are expensive. See question 1.
    Q3: I would guess so. But keep in mind you are going to do extra work. You are going to learn stuff you don't need, and then you are going to need to find good resources to fill in those gaps. Personally I wouldn't settle for paying for an outdated source. (I've used outdated free things to supplement learning, but I'm not buying one)

For my Net+ I just used one book. Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition (Certification Press) (9780071615389): Glen Clarke: Books So I don't know how good the cbt nuggets instructor is for net+.

Edit:
    For after net+, I went and started doing Microsoft tests. But now I am on my way back to get the sec+ before it becomes a 3 year deal. If security+ is something that you wanted to have at some point, might as well get it now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.