Options

How much difference between SY0-101 & SY0-201?

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm interested in taking Security+ and I have some study material for the SY0-101 that I'd still like to use for studying. How much difference is there between the older exam and the current one? Specifically, what topics are covered on the new exam that weren't on the old one?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The best thing to do would be to compare the objectives between the 2. Go here to download objectives for new test Download Exam Objectives
    It would be advisable to get study material for the new test as "filling in the holes" is very difficult.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Go here and buy this: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

Then use your old material and this and you will pass if you study enough. It's not that bad of a test.

Plus if you only spend $28 for you materials all together then your not loosing a lot of money.

In my opinion that book in the link I posted is enough to get a pass for the test.
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Go here and buy this: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books

Then use your old material and this and you will pass if you study enough. It's not that bad of a test.

Plus if you only spend $28 for you materials all together then your not loosing a lot of money.

In my opinion that book in the link I posted is enough to get a pass for the test.

Great book!

Study for the new test, I got burned on my network+ when I studied old material. I still passed but it was by the hair of my chinny chin chin.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Ok I just ordered Darril's book off Amazon. I looked, but couldn't find it in any local book stores. I'm hoping this book and CBT nuggets will be what I need to pass. Once I get Security+, I'll also finally have my MCSA. Then I'll have to decide whether I want to go MCSE or MCITP:EA. I guess it never ends. lol
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know if many bookstores have the book as it was self published. A lot of people here have used just this book and passed the test easily. I wish I had known about the book before taking my Sec+ test but I still did OK.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.