Options

Looking for a good book/study guide

dmurray9133dmurray9133 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. Just passed my A+ exams and now moving onto Network+. I used the Comptia A+ Study guide to pass and while it did cover the material it did a very poor job explaning things. In fact it was often confusing.

I'm considering the Comptia Network + Study guide but again looking for good explanations so concepts are understandable. Any thoughts??

tx

Comments

• Options
    CuneoCuneo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I saw your post yesterday and just joined. I am doing my Network+ course now and am on day 2. To be honest I used the CompTIA study guide by Todd Lammle and find it suits just fine. It is not too dry and is perfectly fit for purpose. You get a disc with it too and can practice your exams on this (and the book too). Good luck buddy.
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'm currently studying for the Network+ Exam, and I also am using the Lammie book as well as the Mike Meyers Network+ book by Clarke. I always try to use 2 books to prepare for these exams so I get 2 different views at to how to cover the requirements for the exam.

I also plan on using the selftest software exams and flash cards to prepare. They were very good for Security+, and they are usually much cheaper than Transcender and very similar.

I plan on taking this exam next Friday so I'll update you as to how this material did for preparation.

I'd also use the resources on this web site...

Good luck.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I recommend Labsim/Testout. It's video training and it has practice tests with it. If you're a student you can get an educational discount. Very thorough and you get to see the instructors doing a lot of things which is better than just reading about them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition (Certification Press) (9780071615389): Glen Clarke: Books was an excellent book. Very informational and it was a good read too. I could crank through 50 pages a day without feeling like I was pushing myself to study.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    ayoriayori Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used Mike Meyer's CompTIA Network+ Third Edition (around $20 in amazon) along with CBTs and a bunch of practice exams from this forum and chapter reviews from other books that I've read in the bookstore. This resource doesn't go into much detail and focuses only on the things you need to know for the exam. I think one way to approach this is to ask yourself whether you just want to learn enough to pass or to actually dig deep and read lots of material. In my case, I decided to just study enough to pass (and actually got way above passing score) as I've planned to take CCNA and MCSA which covered most of the same topics in depth.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I used the ExamCram as a final review after reading a thick book and it was excellent.
  • Options
    loopnutzloopnutz Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just finished reviewing important parts of the book. I also used the book by Todd Lammle. I thought the book was written very well and loved the test prep and chapter reviews included on the CD. Hoping to get high 800's as I don't think I studied hard enough to get a perfect score.

Should be Network+ certified by the end of the day icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    loopnutz wrote: »
    Just finished reviewing important parts of the book. I also used the book by Todd Lammle. I thought the book was written very well and loved the test prep and chapter reviews included on the CD. Hoping to get high 800's as I don't think I studied hard enough to get a perfect score.

Should be Network+ certified by the end of the day icon_cool.gif
    Good luck on the test!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

Earweed - can you tell me what Labsim/Testout is? Is it a book/CD or just videos?

thanks
  • Options
    It has videos, fact sheets, practice tests. The book I used was very dry and the Labsim videos helped a lot. The fact sheets explained the concepts better than the book did and the practice test questions showed me what I needed to go back and study.
    In the videos they actually showed you how to crimp cables and demonstrated on a switch setting up VLANs and went into a lot more than just what was necessary for the test.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Testout is a good all in one bundle. Personally I prefer to use my own bundle, but for a budget, testout will give you readings, videos, and practice questions.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    thanks again everyone...Thanks Earweed.
  • Options
    Your welcome. Now go learn about networks.