Anyone Foundry Certified?

SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wondered if anyone is certified in Foundry equipment, and if so, how did you study for it? Equipment? Reference books? I've been poking around the internet getting some idea of it and it seems like the most reliable resource for the FNCE is the FNCNE Official Study Guide by Jon Fullmer. I can't find any useful comments on the book ("It sucks" or "It's awesome" isn't enough for me to make a decision, unfortunately) and other books I've seen are older, with prints in the early 2000's. There also doesn't seem to be a large secondary training market for this stuff either. Basically, I tried to apply the same methods I used to research my CCNA/CCNP studies and I couldn't come up with any definitive answers. Clues weren't easy to derive either. Maybe I just got spoiled with Cisco being so prevalent?
Oh, and if anyone was wondering, I was looking at a couple of NetEngineer jobs with mixed environments using Cisco on the edge and Foundry as the backbone. This seems to be a growing trend in my area so I wanted to take a look at Foundry a little more closely to determine whether or not I should put it on my list of certs to obtain.
Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch

Comments

• telecommtechtelecommtech Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm certifying at the end of this month for FNCNE 125. Then it get's really complicated.

Let me explain...

The FNCNE is now called BCNE by Brocade. It’s the same exam and the same curriculum to support it. Brocade (formally Foundry) is retiring the 150-110 at the end of August and replacing with an updated one (150-120). If you want the study guide for the current exam, follow the Amazon link at this URL: Brocade - Training and Certification. In September, there will be a new study guide for the new exam.

Foundry's FNCNE First Edition by Jon Fullmer is the best preparation material you can have. Foundry didn't have the resources to do practice exams like Brocade does, and they outsourced the creation of the new study guide. So, for the current exam that expires 31 AUG 2009, the Foundry FNCNE book is the best material you can use. If you fully understand what is in that book, you should be fine. Also, you can go to ********.com and get the latest exam objectives which won't be updated anymore due to the upcoming expiration date for the exam.

Oh yeah, I saved the best part for last. If you cert in FNCNE before 31 AUG 2009, you won't have to take two of Bracades exams as an equivalent to the older FNCNE, AND... your newly acquired FNCNE automatically converts to Brocade's BCNE!!!!!!

NICE........ right?

Anyway, I've got a .pdf that Brocade published explaining the Foundry-to-Brocade exam conversion if you're interested. PM me if you want it.

I hope I answered your question.
    Thanks,

Telecommtech
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SrAtechie wrote: »
    Just wondered if anyone is certified in Foundry equipment, and if so, how did you study for it? Equipment? Reference books? I've been poking around the internet getting some idea of it and it seems like the most reliable resource for the FNCE is the FNCNE Official Study Guide by Jon Fullmer. I can't find any useful comments on the book ("It sucks" or "It's awesome" isn't enough for me to make a decision, unfortunately) and other books I've seen are older, with prints in the early 2000's. There also doesn't seem to be a large secondary training market for this stuff either. Basically, I tried to apply the same methods I used to research my CCNA/CCNP studies and I couldn't come up with any definitive answers. Clues weren't easy to derive either. Maybe I just got spoiled with Cisco being so prevalent?
    Oh, and if anyone was wondering, I was looking at a couple of NetEngineer jobs with mixed environments using Cisco on the edge and Foundry as the backbone. This seems to be a growing trend in my area so I wanted to take a look at Foundry a little more closely to determine whether or not I should put it on my list of certs to obtain.

Im not certified but spent a number of years working with Foundry Server Irons used by an ISP.
  • SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm certifying at the end of this month for FNCNE 125. Then it get's really complicated.

Let me explain...

The FNCNE is now called BCNE by Brocade. It’s the same exam and the same curriculum to support it. Brocade (formally Foundry) is retiring the 150-110 at the end of August and replacing with an updated one (150-120). If you want the study guide for the current exam, follow the Amazon link at this URL: Brocade - Training and Certification. In September, there will be a new study guide for the new exam.

Foundry's FNCNE First Edition by Jon Fullmer is the best preparation material you can have. Foundry didn't have the resources to do practice exams like Brocade does, and they outsourced the creation of the new study guide. So, for the current exam that expires 31 AUG 2009, the Foundry FNCNE book is the best material you can use. If you fully understand what is in that book, you should be fine. Also, you can go to ********.com and get the latest exam objectives which won't be updated anymore due to the upcoming expiration date for the exam.

Oh yeah, I saved the best part for last. If you cert in FNCNE before 31 AUG 2009, you won't have to take two of Bracades exams as an equivalent to the older FNCNE, AND... your newly acquired FNCNE automatically converts to Brocade's BCNE!!!!!!

NICE........ right?

Anyway, I've got a .pdf that Brocade published explaining the Foundry-to-Brocade exam conversion if you're interested. PM me if you want it.

I hope I answered your question.

Thanks a bunch telcommtech! I totally forgot about this thread but came back to review it because I'm currently having issues interfacing with some folks managing the foundry backbone at work. Not sure if Foundry and Cisco are two different languages or if the folks on the other end of the line don't know what they're doing so I wanted to learn a bit more about foundry to find out. I'll PM you my email addy after this post. Now I understand the confusion. I kept flipping back and forth between brocade and foundry and everything I read wasn't clear as to what was current, what was past, and what was future so I just threw up my hands (virtually) in disgust. Thanks for clearing that up! icon_smile.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Brocade CertificationBrocade Certification Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am the Certification Manager at Brocade. We have incorporated the Foundry program into ours. if you have any questions please send them to certification@brocade.com and I will reply promptly, based on time zone.

Just to let you know, the terms of the Brocade program mention that anyone using non-authorized Brocade study material (braindumps etc.) can get you banned for life from our program. Even making a post that requests a braindump is enough to get removed permanently, and all credentials would be forfeited.

We produce our own study guides, and for the new BCNE (former FNCNE) exam, there will be a free BCNE in a Nutshell exam study guide available in September from the bottom of our certification page.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    i am also in the same boat as you. We have a foundry/brocade ServerIron GT series load balancer in our network and i have no clue how to use it aside from loging into the darn thing.

I have been searching manuals and books for about 2 days now and all i could find was the older FNCNE Official Study Guide. I am a CCNP certified engineer with ASA experience, but i have no experience with this product line. I wouldnt mind studying for a Brocade cert as long as i learn how to use this product. I am not looking to become Yoda for this product but i would like to learn how to use it and be productive in work, and if i am putting in the effort to study, then yeah sure why not get a certificate at the end of the day for all my hard work.

Anyways , really looking forward to the new BCNE exam, i am also looking at the BCLE exam as well. I know this thread may be a bit old and the last post claimed in september there would be new study materials, however its now november and i still cannot find any new books for these exams. I have the nutshell pdf off brocades website but as they say, this is not a replacement for real study materials nor hands on experience.

Anyone with any updates please chim in , thanks !
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • greenfroggreenfrog Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear All,

Does anyone have FNCNE books ? or Where can I buy it now?
    I need it, because I have plan to take the BCNE Exam soon.
    I think BCNE in a nutshell is not enough to pass the exam

I have experiences with MLX and CES-2000-ME.

Regards,