Seeking advice (NewB)

cobwebcobweb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am planning to return to school this fall and would like some input. I’m a 35 year old Land Surveyor transitioning into IT. I’m not sure what field yet. I can’t decide between an Associate or Bachelor degree. At my age, should I just get the Associate degree? Will it hold me back or create a “glass ceiling” I can’t overcome? A close friend of mine in the industry thinks I’ll be just as well off with the Associate degree. His opinion is that in the extra time it will take to get the Bachelor degree I could be working and getting experience and certifications. Opinions?

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, I think you are being a little hard on yourself, don't put yourself down.

I would start with the associates. While you are working on that, look into self studying for some different certifications that you want. That will get you hireable. I would work on the BS if you can, but it isn't required. It will open more doors later but getting your foot into the door now would be better.

Don't take IT lightly. Many people think its easy because they like playing with computers and they think they are good at it. IT is a challenging career that requires you to always be studying. Technologies always change, and if you don't keep up on them, you will get left behind in a hearbeat.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation.
    Although I have some IT-related experience (military), I'm pretty much a newB also, transitioning from sales into IT. I decided to go to school and earn an Associates of Applied Science. I'm a couple months out from graduating, and I've had several interviews, and an IT job offer. I plan on continuing my education for a BS, but the near AAS (+ certs) has helped me get my foot in the door.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cobweb wrote: »
    A close friend of mine in the industry thinks I’ll be just as well off with the Associate degree. His opinion is that in the extra time it will take to get the Bachelor degree I could be working and getting experience and certifications. Opinions?
    My opinion is that you have a smart friend.

If things work out you can continue on to a Bachelors after the Associates. It's education, experience, certifications -- and some luck, people skills, and social networking -- that will find you that first IT job and hopefully allow you to advance up the IT food chain (and salary scale).

Welcome to the TechExams forums! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cobweb wrote: »
    I am planning to return to school this fall and would like some input. I’m a 35 year old Land Surveyor transitioning into IT. I’m not sure what field yet. I can’t decide between an Associate or Bachelor degree. At my age, should I just get the Associate degree? Will it hold me back or create a “glass ceiling” I can’t overcome? A close friend of mine in the industry thinks I’ll be just as well off with the Associate degree. His opinion is that in the extra time it will take to get the Bachelor degree I could be working and getting experience and certifications. Opinions?

First, you need to honestly pick what part of IT you want to pursue.

I will do a quick run down on what you can choose and what paths you should take. This is all my opinion and I am not a counselor :D
    (Do your homework!)

IT Technician: Pursue your A.A.S. or A.S. in Information Technology while obtaining your CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and MCDST certifications (2 years)

Networking: Pursue your A.A.S. or A.S. in Computer Networking while obtaining your CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CCNA and CCNP certifications (3 years)

Security: Pursue your A.A.S. or A.S. in Information Technology (Security electives) while obtaining your CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CCNA and CCSP certifications (3 years)

Computer Programming: Pursue your A.A. in General Studies then B.A. in Computer Programming while obtaining your SCJP certification and studying the different languages (Java, C++, C#, etc) (4-5 years)

I honestly feel Computer Programming and Database Administrating will be difficult to get into without a Bachelors degree and a good amount of time on your side.

The time I put next to each path is just an estimate that I feel it would take if you went full time on the material. You obviously have to factor in further certifications or experience to obtain the higher paying jobs.

If I was you I would go for Networking or Security and try to work in Government.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I suggest doing the Associates and get a few certifications behind your belt and then move onto the Bachelors. Build a lab and practice as well. Just because you are 35 does not mean anything. I am 37 and still going strong. IT is a great field and it is fun but it does have its down times.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • dennis1960dennis1960 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I achieved my AAS in Networking Tech with some certs 10 years ago. It did open some doors for me but now I have hit that glass ceiling because, in my opinion, I never pursued my BS.
    Well, I'm now 50 and figured its never too late. Just started the process with WGU and am looking forward to my future. Don't ever let age be a factor in your decisions. I agree with thenjduke, get your AAS with a few entry level CompTia certs and pick a specialty like networking or desktop support. Then keep going forward, always.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Associates + Certs > Experience + More Certs > Bachelors + MORE certs

Never stop learning.

I do not have a degree (yet) - Even working on your degree, can get your foot in the door. (That's how I obtained my first Help Desk Tech gig 2.5 years ago)

I'd start by taking a few classes, and decide what path you'd like to take and go from there. icon_thumright.gif
  • cobwebcobweb Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you to everyone for your advice! I just recently found this forum and it's amazing. I've really learned alot from it.
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Associates + Certs > Experience + More Certs > Bachelors + MORE certs

Never stop learning.

I do not have a degree (yet) - Even working on your degree, can get your foot in the door. (That's how I obtained my first Help Desk Tech gig 2.5 years ago)

I'd start by taking a few classes, and decide what path you'd like to take and go from there. icon_thumright.gif

I completely agree with this, build your foundation with a small path and move up with experience and the bachelors.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)