Quality of Certification Certificate

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
About a month after passing my security+, I received what looked like regular 8.5"x11" paper with a printed out logo, very poor quality.

About 1.5-2months after that I received a smaller, better quality, but more embossed postcard like Security+ Certificate, and a wallet card.

Is the second mailout, the new permanent style for security+ certificates, or does every one who passes get both kinds?

I was curious.

I received my Oracle 11G certification paper in the mail last week, and it is high end embossed paper, with a raised red foil seal,,,,,that is what a certificate should look like. Why doesn't CompTIA do this for those who pass their examinations...

What's more important to CompTIA? Going "Green" and not taking a microscopic pinch in the cash reserves by giving lower grade certifications? Why wouldn't they absorb a slight hit to cash reserves to give people a meaningfull certificate?

I'm pretty sure if CompTIA dolled out quality certificates, that have even 50-75% quality of a college degree paper/material, it would make candidates feel a little better, and would hardly hurt their "bottom line", and "Green philosophy"

:)

food for thought.
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't know if you knew it or not, but you can download the CompTIA certifications now, and they print out fairly nice.
  • flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't know if you knew it or not, but you can download the CompTIA certifications now, and they print out fairly nice.

So one has to buy their own high quality felt/resume paper if they want to have a quality printout. That's a different way of approaching it from their end, but I feel that is their responsibility, not the candidates.

I was pleased when I saw the high end quality of the Oracle certification that came in the mail. The futuristic/blue'ish comptia one we print out.....heh....

As for the nicer embossed second comptia cert that goes out, sure its nicer, but it doesnt have the 'luxurious aesthetics of a bachelors degree/felt paper etc...'

you know what i mean by that :)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    flatworld wrote: »
    you know what i mean by that :)

I can't argue with that. I was pretty disappointing when I got my first CompTIA certification as well. I'm hoping the Microsoft ones will look some what better.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm hoping the Microsoft ones will look some what better.
    I haven't seen any of the purchased MS certificates yet but the downloadable one wouldn't even look good on good paper.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    earweed wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of the purchased MS certificates yet but the downloadable one wouldn't even look good on good paper.

+1
    The MS ones are terrible! Especially the MCITP ones
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've always got both a 8.5x11 certificate and a card. Both looked of good quality. I also got them in the same mailing, not sure why they came separate for you.

Also keep in mind that my CompTIA certs are the old kind, I understand that they have a new layput now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    gateway wrote: »
    +1
    The MS ones are terrible! Especially the MCITP ones

I don't think I would say terrible. I have a MCAS (now should be MOS 2007, not sure if they are sending me a replacement) and I have viewed my MCP online but I am waiting to buy it until I have some other certificates to buy it with (I'm not getting hooked for $10 a piece).

They are a bit plain, but I wouldn't classify them as horrible. I would hope to receive someing prestigious, and have argued this before in these forums. Most of the replies were complaints that if they upped the quality they would up the price for the test as well, and most people don't want to pay it.
    Here is Microsoft's answer.
    Q.I just became certified, why do I have to spend more time and money to print my certificate?
    A.To help reduce waste in the landfills, reduce carbon dioxide emissions and raw materials, along with lower energy consumption overall helps create a more sustainable global environment.
    I like how they are pointing to the enviornment on this one. A piece of paper, and an envelope are filling our landfills and ruining our planet. How many pieces of junk mail did you get yesterday?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm buying the whole set after I get my MCITP:EA. I didn't even bother printing out a certificate for the 83-640 after viewing it. I didn't find any new certificates that cost you in the thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/12514-certification-certificates-3.html unless it's that ugly orange one they used to send out. Hopefully if I'm paying money the certificate at least looks good enough for me to frame and put on the wall.
    So far I haven't framed any certificate as none of them really look that good. (Old CompTIA, new CompTIA, and MS)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    So far I haven't framed any certificate as none of them really look that good. (Old CompTIA, new CompTIA, and MS)

I frame every one I get. I've worked hard for them, and I am proud of what I have achieved. So I go to target and buy their $3 document frame (yeah, I'm cheap) and stick it in my bedroom. If nothing else, it is a reminder that hard work pays off. Maybe someday it will save me from giving up on a test when I feeling that I can't do it? I also stick the congratulations letter behind them so that it never gets lost.

I liked the blue CompTIA certs, they looked pretty cool. My only complaint with them is I wish that different ones had a uniqeness to them.
  • GuyInNYGuyInNY Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, with the amount of money we pay for these tests, they could at least give us certs that look a little more professional.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    All of my certs get point into a sleeve, then into a binder and locked into a safe. That's it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I received my Oracle 11G certification paper in the mail last week.

Did you have to go through Oracle training to test for this?
    I haven't really looked into Oracle certifications but since they obtained MySQL, I've been interested. I heard it is required for you to take training with them in order to test or can you just test via your own studies?
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Warsh1p wrote: »
    Did you have to go through Oracle training to test for this?
    I haven't really looked into Oracle certifications but since they obtained MySQL, I've been interested. I heard it is required for you to take training with them in order to test or can you just test via your own studies?

Official Oracle training is only required to get an OCP certification. If I want to obtain an OCP, I have to pass the 1Z0-053, and pay $2,000 for an official Oracle class. People usually obtain this when their employer pays for it. It is a big chunk of change.
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Official Oracle training is only required to get an OCP certification. If I want to obtain an OCP, I have to pass the 1Z0-053, and pay $2,000 for an official Oracle class. People usually obtain this when their employer pays for it. It is a big chunk of change.

Gotcha. Just reviewed Oracles website and figured this out.
    I might go for the OCA next year.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)