Request Interview Tips for IT Volunteer

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
As you may know, I have been looking for a full time IT job for 6 months. No success. Unemployed recent grad.

However, I will have an IT volunteer interview sometime this week which I might be able to get depending on what I say. There is no potential growth at this place. The place is looking for someone who can work for free for 3+ months and look for someone who can make long term contributions.

Here's the problem. I just want to gain experience and use it to cover my unemployment gap on my resume. I am willing to make long term contributions (unpaid) as long as I am unemployed. If they ask me if I am willing to stay for 3+ months...should I say YES for sure? My ultimate goal is to work full time elsewhere though. I am still in the interview process with other organizations and a job offer might pop out anytime (tomorrow, next couple of week, 1 month later, 3 months , or 1 year).

Should I say YES with a solid answer or tell them the truth about my situation and say "I have no idea if I can make long term committments because I am also applying to dozens of jobs in the meantime, etc).

Thanks

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They shouldn't expect that you can promise to give them 3 months no matter what. I would answer yes to the 3+ months. A lot could happen in 3 months, you could be offered an extremely high paying job, or you could have some family problems and need to take time off. You can only try. If a job pops up a month down the road, I would take it. I don't consider this lying, because you intend to stay there 3+ months. If the job happens, then you will have to explain to them that you enjoyed working with them, but someone has offered you a job thay pays money and you need to feed your children.

Burning bridges is never a good idea. Which is why you will need to stress how sorry you are for leaving when it comes to that. They should understand that money>no money, and will hopefully not hold it against you.

You certainly can't be just sitting around the house all day doing nothing and waiting for the perfect position. Take what you can get when you get it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    They shouldn't expect that you can promise to give them 3 months no matter what. I would answer yes to the 3+ months. A lot could happen in 3 months, you could be offered an extremely high paying job, or you could have some family problems and need to take time off. You can only try. If a job pops up a month down the road, I would take it. I don't consider this lying, because you intend to stay there 3+ months. If the job happens, then you will have to explain to them that you enjoyed working with them, but someone has offered you a job thay pays money and you need to feed your children.

Burning bridges is never a good idea. Which is why you will need to stress how sorry you are for leaving when it comes to that. They should understand that money>no money, and will hopefully not hold it against you.

You certainly can't be just sitting around the house all day doing nothing and waiting for the perfect position. Take what you can get when you get it.

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I hpoe this volunteer organization will understand about my situation if this really happens. I do plan on making a long term commitment except I prefer not to make any promises. Really appreciate your help.

I've been waiting for 6 months at home and no success. I did get interviews but not the offer. Hopefully I'll get this volunteer opportunity and do something useful.

Thanks
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I wouldn't promise any length of time if they're not paying you.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    I wouldn't promise any length of time if they're not paying you.

Good point.
  • KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    I would not stress over the fact of making a commitment. If you do land a paying job you can cut back your hours at the volunteering job.
    KeithC wrote: »
    I would not stress over the fact of making a commitment. If you do land a paying job you can cut back your hours at the volunteering job.

Thanks for the reply.

If I land a paying job, it will most likely be 40 hours per week and i will not be able to volunteer (as they want people who can volunteer during business hours).

Hopefully I get this volunteer opportunity. Better than being unemployed.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    what will your daily responsibilities be? for this job what kind of a job is this?