Msg.exe

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Has anyone ever been able to get this command to work?

I can send a message to myself. Msg.exe * /server:MyComputer "Hello"
I cannot send to another computer. Msg.exe * /serverTheOtherComputer "Hello"
I get a "Error 5 getting session names". I have read online, and other people are having the same issue when working with remote machines. Is it because I am in a workgroup and don't have an account on that machine? Thats my only guess, I can ping the other computer by ip and by hostname.
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you started the service? It's disabled by default.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Which service? The website I was reading said that the messenger service isn't needed.

In other news, I should just write you out a check. You're answering all my questions.
    Well, I was apparently wrong about this, but I do accept PayPal.

I thought this was just an alias for net send since I don't really use either, but I guess it's a quasi-replacement for it in versions later than XP.

Look here: Solution to Msg.exe “Error 5 getting session names” | Umito
    Silly me. Why didn't I think to look on a linux forum to answer my windows question?

Any idea if this is going to open a potential security hole? My guess would be yes, as I'm sure it has been turned off for a reason. But I didn't see on either of the sites where it mentioned one.
    Spam and DoS (i.e. writing a script that sends non-stop messages) are the primary concerns I believe. However, anytime you add any additional functionality, there's always a chance that it could be exploited in the future (assuming an unknown exploit doesn't already exist). I wouldn't enable it unless you really need it.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you like msg.exe, you'll love shutdown /i
    phoeneous wrote: »

I've already been initiated in the world of shutdown commands. This was a great way to kill time in our server class. I prefered to use shutdown /s /t 0 on their servers. Then they would have to physically get up and go to the back of the room. And nobody likes to stand up and walk 10 feet.

Not to mention these were just older xp machines that had server 03 installed for training purposes. So the restart itself could take some time.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I wouldn't enable it unless you really need it.
    It isn't a huge concern me, just trying to learn the new netsend. If I decide that I need it I'll look into it more and see what port it is sent with, and then consider blocking it on the firewall coming into my house.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »

I'm more fond of format c: /q
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come