Options

Job offer advice

dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
Hi Guys,
I just got a job offer for a position with a very well-known consulting firm and I'm wondering if I should accept it or not. It's an hour communte one-way, I would also be taking an 8k pay cut. They would be paying for my clearance/background investigation (had clearance many moons ago, but is expired). My current position is being eliminated at the end of June, and this is my first interview, and first job offer. Should beggars not be choosers here?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If its the only job offer you have then I'd take it. Commuting is going to suck, but I'd rather a long commute to a job than no job at all.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Big gamble here. When did you start looking? If this is your first offer, but it was also the first week of looking then I could easily see letting it pass. If you have been searching for 6 months and this is the first thing that has popped up, then I would take it.

An hour commute isn't horrible. It will get old fast, especially if you live in a snowy area. But it could also be something temporary while you keep your eyes open.

Edit: Another thing I just thought about is your current financial situation. Do you have enough money to potentially go without a job for the next 6 months? If you don't then you are going to have to be a little less picky.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    I've been searching for about 1.5 months. The severance package I'm going to get from my current job will cover the loss in initial salary for the first year, but I'm thinking that having them get the security clearance done will more than make up for the loss, at least at first.
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds to me like you ought to take it. In a years time, after your severance wears out, you may have proven your worth more, and they may be apt to give you a raise to help make up for the cut.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Given that you have severance to cover the difference, you wind up with a net gain of a fresh security clearance. I guess if you don't mind the commute, then you probably won't go wrong taking the job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i'd take it....for the simple fact that IF you get your clearance(thats not guaranteed), later on you pretty get your pick of the litter when it comes to gov't jobs or jobs w/companies with gov't contracts...and all of those require you to have active SC.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    i'd take it....for the simple fact that IF you get your clearance(thats not guaranteed), later on you pretty get your pick of the litter when it comes to gov't jobs or jobs w/companies with gov't contracts...and all of those require you to have active SC.

I'll agree with this. You have another source of income, so the 8k drop isn't going to kill you. The drive might, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Have you ever noticed that jobs are easier and more enjoyable when you choose to do them? If you decide that the garage needs cleaned out and do it, you could actually find some enjoyment in it. If the wife is nagging you to do it, then it is just a chore.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    I've always been told that 1st offer is usually the best one. However if you feel lucky (do ya?) you can take a gamble and keep looking. Another factor is that commute. Really think about that. I commute 2hrs every day and by the end of the week I'm visualizing running other drivers off the road. I never would just saying :)
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    I gambled, and it paid off. Got offered a position on a wednesday, had another interview on thursday with a better job and higher pay. Interview went awesome and I was pretty sure it was in the bag. Come friday, place #1 needed an answer. I declined in hopes of this second job.

I got it, and I lived happily ever after. Well not really, I'm ready to do more than service desk.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take it
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are losing your job at the end of this month that means you are getting more then a 8k/year pay cut. Unless of course you were making 8k a year :D

Take it.
    1 hour commutes are very normal.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)