Failed N10-003 three times last year

IceMagic09IceMagic09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
i failed it 3 times about a year ago....im wondering what changed in the net+ security exam

Im going to take the new one soon b4 compTIAs new renewal rule comes into affect.

so can i get some advice on what to do to actually pass this time? thanks

~IceMagic

Comments

• awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IceMagic09 wrote: »
    i failed it 3 times about a year ago....im wondering what changed in the net+ security exam

Im going to take the new one soon b4 compTIAs new renewal rule comes into affect.

so can i get some advice on what to do to actually pass this time? thanks

~IceMagic

I passed Network+ about a month ago. I used CompTIA Network+ All-in-One Exam Guide, Fourth Edition by Mike Meyers as my study guide, bought the voucher and practice tests from his website and that was pretty much my only study aides for the test. I did also have access to a Preplogic MegaGuide for Network+. I read through all the material twice and made sure I could answer all the questions for the practice tests (along with understanding why the answers were correct). All of that added up to passing. Make sure you understand the underlying concepts and principles and aren't just memorizing, though I understand things like port numbers have to be memorized. If you have any other questions you're welcome to PM me, though I can't claim to be any type of expert on the subject. icon_wink.gif Oh yeah, I also took the practice tests on this website as well!
  • IceMagic09IceMagic09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks, im using pagesbydave and this site, also i have some PDF files on network +
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I recommend getting the Labsim/Testout video package. Watch all the videos, read all the fact sheets and take all the chapter tests and practice tests it contains. The book I had for Net+ was very dry and I would have lost interest without Labsim.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For me, the Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets for this exam were really good. I kind of did the reverse in terms of how I studied for this one. I was already taking Cisco CCNA courses through my college so once I finished those I did the CCENT first and then the Network+. At that point the Network+ was a breeze due to all the overlap. I feel that the Network+ was more facts base and broader than the Cisco exam.

Study wise I would say take your time if networking is a new field for you. One chapter a week is okay; just make sure you know what you read really well. I'm not sure what other certs you have (update your cert list! icon_lol.gif) but there is a naturally progression from A+ -> Network+ -> Security+. As you come along you will start to see things overlap just as with the CCENT and Net+ exams.
  • IceMagic09IceMagic09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks again guys,

i plan on getting A+ this summer, net+ and security+...and eventually CCENT, CCNA, and CCNP with Security
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like a plan :). I also forgot to say never give up, no matter what. icon_cheers.gif
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IceMagic09 wrote: »
    thanks again guys,

i plan on getting A+ this summer, net+ and security+...and eventually CCENT, CCNA, and CCNP with Security

PLEASE DON"T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY:

If you are having difficulty with Network Plus, then you are going to get your balls/t i t s handed to you by the CCNA or CCENT. I have taken both N+ and the CCNA and the difference between the two is incredible. Here is my no nonsense advise to you:

1: Print the objectives and read over them
    2: Purchase a real book.
    - I used the Mike Myers book
    3: Read the book (cover to cover)
    - When I did the N+, I read the book in 1 1/2 weeks. I also made highlights and notes along the way
    4: Make sure to take all chapter exams and if you are not passing with at least 85-90 percent, go over your weak areas.
    5: Schedule the test
    - Schedule the test 1-2 weeks from this date
    6: Purchase a testing engine
    - Self test, transcender etc. Do not get the longer than 30 day packages because if you have it for too long, you will start to memorize the answers. You may not even want to look at the answers if you get this more than 3 weeks from your test date
    7: Final Review
    - This should be less than 1 week from the exam. Go over all your notes and weak areas. By now you should have at least 90 percent on every exam. Go over anything you don't know. If you don't feel ready, reschedule the exam.
    8: Take the exam and pass it.

Rinse and repeat for you next exams. This is how I do it. I passed the N+ in 4 weeks from start to finish with no networking experience. It is possible. I did the CCNA in a similar fashion, it just took a lot longer; I think all in all it took me four months. PACE YOURSELF! There is no rush (unless you are Dynamik but that guy isn't human). If you scale back, you scale back. I wanted to do TONS of certs this year. TONS!!! CCNP, C|EH, MCSE:S. But in Feb I lost my job and I am recently back in employment. The point I am making is you never know what could happen, so keep your plans flexible. I now have a list of things I want to do that is greatly different from my previous plans. At one point I wanted to do Sun certs, storage certs, but now I want to do certs that will actually help me with my job (which is why I am not doing CCNP and I am focusing on Sec, *nix and ms). Be flexible and don't go after every shinny piece of paper. Go after what is going to help you now, and something that you want to do for your future. That's my plan.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't remember who said it, but someone on this forum made the statement ccna=net+^9 because it is 3 times as broad and 3 times as hard.

I don't know what changed about it, if you get good study materials the test shouldn't be too difficult. What were your weak points? Cables? subnetting? protocols?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    Good post knwminus, if you're having trouble now, keep pounding at it until it becomes second nature. Take your time during the test, read the ENTIRE question, and you should do just fine.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't remember who said it, but someone on this forum made the statement ccna=net+^9 because it is 3 times as broad and 3 times as hard.

That was me lol. I said it because it is so true. Network+ level knowledge is like a requirement to everyone in it. EVERYONE.

I honesty only remember cables and the osi layer. I had like 1 subnetting question, which reminds me I need to go do some subnetting questions.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    which reminds me I need to go do some subnetting questions.

Same here. I have never been that great at subnetting, add onto that I haven't used it in months, and I'll need to get it back down for the 291.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    My advice for this exam (and for any IT exam for that matter) is very simple - find out what the objectives are and KNOW THE MATERIAL. For Net+ there are a couple of good books that are mentioned in this thread, and then get some practice exam questions (Transcender, selftest, etc...) and see as many questions as possible. One thing I like about Transcender and selftest is that their questions come with VERY detailed explanations that you can use for study and review.

Also get study tips and notes from sites like this one and mcmcse.com. There are numerous sites where you can get a variety of study notes, and these help a great deal.

For Net+ you HAVE to know the following:
    1) OSI model
    2) Basic IP addressing and subnetting
    3) Protocols
    4) Network Hardware (and where it works in the OSI model)
    5) The basic problem determination steps
    6) The different Windows and Unix commands and flags and what their displays look like
    7) networking tools (crimper, punch down, etc...)

This will get you a good start with the Net+ exam.

And I agree with other comments on this thread - if you are having a hard time with Net+ then the Cisco exams will kill you. I am going to start working on my Cisco certs this fall, and the questions there are MUCH harder. The same is true for the 70-291 and 70-293 MS exams.

Good luck.
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I recommend getting the Labsim/Testout video package. Watch all the videos, read all the fact sheets and take all the chapter tests and practice tests it contains. The book I had for Net+ was very dry and I would have lost interest without Labsim.

I absolutely agree. Testout is fantastic. You should read a book before using it though. It's very crammed down to the bear minimum. However, they do domonstrate real world examples like implementing routing on a server and making a server so that it can issue certificates. But it will not go into details so that you can understand the concepts. Therefore, I suggest reading a book first. Then use Testout for your final preparation. Depending on how much time you have, Testout might take you 2 weeks to a month to complete everything.

I do believe Testout has enough information for you to pass the exam. If you study really hard and pass over 90% of the section exams on the first try, there's no reason why you shouldn't pass. However, this does guarrantee you a good score.

Also, if you're a student, make sure you send sales@testout.com a copy of your student schedule and request student pricing. They need to know what school you are going to. This will really cut the cost down. I paid $89. I think their latest promoation is even $69.