Folder Structure

cpohladcpohlad Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to remember this from my Boot Camp, and I looked through all my material, but I remember that there is a command that you can run that will show you basically a crosswalk of where certain folders are.

For example, the Startup Folder has moved and this shows you where it would be now.

Comments

• cpohladcpohlad Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right after I sent that I found it in my book:

DIR /AL /S

Very handle tool when transitioning from WinXP to Win7.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cpohlad wrote: »
    DIR /AL /S

So this command will tell you the xp path of things and then the vista/7 path? I'll have to run it when I get home. Never heard of this.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • cpohladcpohlad Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, It will basically say, "Application Data" and then show you where to find that in the Windows 7 folder structure.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It works for Vista too. I just tried it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    That command will show you a list of the directory junctions. Windows 7 has the ability to alias the directory structure and create symbolic links that map one path to another. The security gets a little goofy because you can't browse a directory junction.

If you browse the C: drive you will notice that c:\documents and settings does not exist. If you type c:\documents and settings into the explorer path bar, you will get an error. If you type c:\documents and settings\YourUsername into the bar, all of your profile folders will appear.

From a command prompt, type cd "c:\documents and settings" and the path will change to c:\documents and settings - even thought we know that path does not exist. Type dir at that path and you will get an error. type cd YourUsername and then dir and you will get a directory listing.

The directory junctions exist for backwards compatibility. If you had old scripts or programs that referenced c:\documents and settings, they can still run. I have also created my own directory junctions to fix applications that had path problems. There is an application compatibility shim called 'correct file path' that fixes one file at a time, but I ran into a problem that needed to fix an entire directory path and creating a junction was just easier.

How to create symbolic link in windows 7 Windows 7 Home