career change: How to get out of IT!

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently work as a jr system admin. Recently my wife had a child. I dont like where I am at currently and I want to move closer to home. 60 miles is just too much strain with a new child. "Home" has very limited job choices, very few include IT. Basically there is just a hospital and a community college that even has an IT department. I check thier job boards everyday. Recently, I applied for an IT technician job at the community college, a peon job. I though I would surely get an interview. However, I didnt even get an interview. 15 people applied and 12 were interviewed. Apparently I didnt meet thier qualifications (2 years progressive experience or a bachelor's degree). I have 2 years experience, a bachelor's degree, A+, Net+, Sec+, and one exam away from MCSA. Im bummed out. I had thought of changing careers. I just dont know what other career i may be qualified for. Does anyone know what type of career I may be qualified to do outside of IT?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    bhs00 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what type of career I may be qualified to do outside of IT?

We can guess all day long, but without you telling us your skills we really aren't going to be able to help.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is from my resume

SKILLS
    • Experience with many operating systems and software applications: DOS, Windows 3.11/95/98/2000/XP/Vista, Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows CE/Mobile 5, Ubuntu Linux, Macintosh OSX, MS Office 2003, MS Outlook 2003, Symantec Ghost, Norton Antivirus, Trend Micro Office Scan, AVG Anti-virus, Citrix Metaframe, Ultra VNC, VMware Server, VMware ESX Microsoft Virtual PC, Microsoft Visual Basic, Vertical Televantage IP Telephony, Funk Proxy Master, Netapp VFM, iLO, Hyper Terminal, HP Blade Servers.
    • Extensive experience with installation, repair, configuration, operation, and maintenance of IBM compatible desktops and laptops: Gateway, Dell GX50/GX60 to include peripherals: scanners, modems, PC/PCMCIA cards, thermal printers, inkjet printers, laser printers, wireless AP’s, servers, switches, hubs, wireless routers, wireless cards, network interface cards, video cards, sound cards, hard drives, memory, AMD and Intel processors/motherboards, and removable media.
    • Experience with various network protocols and specifications: TCP/IP, 10 BASE-T, 100 BASE-TX, 1000 BASE-TX, Fiber Optic networks.
    • Extensive software/hardware troubleshooting skills, both in stand-alone and Client/Server environments.
    • Strong verbal and written communication. Excellent customer-oriented inter-personal skills.
    • Experience with working definite deadlines under contract.
    • I hold an active Government Secret Clearance.
    • Skilled with Government procedures.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

JUNIOR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR, SAIC 05/09 – CURRENT
    • Working on a government contract for Missile Defense Agency.
    • Working in a government environment using Remedy helpdesk ticketing system.
    • Worked with contractors and civilians in migrating home folders and group shares from Washington DC area to Huntsville using NetApp VFM.
    • Migrated several applications from DC to Huntsville.
    • Constantly coordinating with users and developers to help the migrations go smoothly.
    • Wrote Detailed Design Implementation Plans and submitted Request For Change for several matters.
    • Worked with team to configure a Citrix environment to host migrated applications.
    • Successfully configured and installed VMWare ESX server to host applications being moved from NCR to HSV, group shares, and personal shares.
    • Wrote Concept of Operations (CONOPS) for turnover documentation.
    • Worked on creating a Group Policy (GPO) to present a security banner on machines.
    • Performed installation of cables to the Unclassified LAN from the MDA Chassis.

IT SHOPFLOOR TECHNICIAN, PILGRIM’S PRIDE 02/08 – 5/09
    • Installation, operation, and preventative maintenance of computer systems, thermal printers, touch screens, and handheld scanners.
    • Assign and administer solutions through a helpdesk ticket service.
    • Responsible for taking non-working production computers from other facilities and using their components to reassemble working PC’s.
    • Sending off computers and accessories for warranty service.

DELIVERY AND SALESMAN, ACE HARDWARE 5/99 – 12/03
    • Helped customers with their needs giving advice with various jobs
    • Kept track of inventory
    • Assembled various machines and other goods
    • Cashiered and greeted customers
  • manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    just based on the info you provided from your resume...you are gonna be starting on the ground floor of any career you choose...so not considering any jobs in IT...

I'd go with customer service...or sales

Sales is always good as a career change and is based on personality and people skills more often than experience.

You may also want to consider what you are currently getting paid vs what you can expect from a new career. You mentioned that you currently have a newborn...you may want to sit down and seriously consider what is gonna best benefit your family.
  • kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sucks when you live out in the middle of nowhere, and there's hardly any IT jobs that will pay enough nearby. There's a hospital and Comm College near your house so obviously your options are limited.

If you were to change careers and lets say go into the medical field, you could get into something like Xray tech, sonographer, respiratory therapist, LPN, etc. Plus there will be a time where you will have to quit your job because of clinicals being Full Time and during the day. So if your wife works, and you want to take a part time job, it might work for you. Now keep in mind at a minimum it's going to take you at least 2 full years to get through these programs.

You only have a little over a year at SAIC, and yeah I understand that contract work sucks...I've been there and done that for 5 years. On top of the travel time kills you too. You really have to stay where you are at this point, until you either move closer to your job, or make a decision to go to school and get a 2nd career in place.

I've also been at the same place you are. Where I live I have to travel at a min of 45 minutes to where most of the IT jobs are in the state. With my husband's job being 10 minutes, and mine 50 minutes, in time we will have to move to the half way point, but as of now that's not possible. So I have to suck it up and get through it.

You have a good thing going, so I would try and hold out at least another year or ask about promotions with your area. In the meantime, figure out if you can move closer or see what other opportunities you can pull in the meantime.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There have been several people posting like this. My first thought is, why leave IT? There are many areas, you might just be in the wrong one or with the wrong employer.

Anywhere else you go you will be starting over. And if 2 years go by and you realize you made a mistake, you will be nearly starting over in IT. Think this out very clearly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Leaving IT is easy, just quit. The hard part is getting into something else.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    There have been several people posting like this. My first thought is, why leave IT? There are many areas, you might just be in the wrong one or with the wrong employer.

Anywhere else you go you will be starting over. And if 2 years go by and you realize you made a mistake, you will be nearly starting over in IT. Think this out very clearly.

The reason I would want to leave IT is because there are no IT jobs in the area I live in. 60 miles is the closest city with multiple IT jobs. I enjoy IT but I want to be closer to home. My wife is a tenured teacher in her school system, and with a new child its just not that easy to move. I would move to the area my job is in if I found a job that I enjoyed and could see myself staying there. As in not a government contractor. I am not opposed to changing careers in order to be closer to my wife and child.
    My first thought is to move, but with the wife and kid, it is increasingly difficult. I wish I had an easy answer, but I don't.
    Heero wrote: »
    Leaving IT is easy, just quit. The hard part is getting into something else.

He has an excellent point. There is no reason to quit IT if you don't have something else in mind already. Before you do anything, make a plan.

Maybe you could move 30 miles closer to the city? Give each of you a 30 mile commute?
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    What about starting up your own company where you are? IT Consulting or service related? Just a thought.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    motogpman wrote: »
    What about starting up your own company where you are? IT Consulting or service related? Just a thought.

Good point. You can make a good chunk of cash just doing simple computer repairs and network setups. The big companies will charge $100 for a os reformat. Those take about an hour and most of that is just processing time.

When I got wireless internet several years ago, Qwest wanted to charge $199 to come out and set it up. I did it in a few hours but I also protected it much more than they would have (WPA, MAC filtering, No SSID broadcast, ect)

Your neighbor who doesn't know much about computers would gladly pay you $50 or $100 for it. Maybe even $200, I'd rather pay my neighbor than pay the man. And it is a pretty simple task.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    The idea of being close to home is a noble one, however with out a back up job already in place making close to what you are pulling in now it doesnt seem like a pratical one.

+1 to starting your own business.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Step1. Pack up your stuff
    Step2. Go to airport, close your eyes and point at the departure board. That will be your new home
    Step3. ???
    Step4. Profit!
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    An IT forum may not be the best place to ask this question.
    ColbyG wrote: »
    An IT forum may not be the best place to ask this question.

We are obviously going to steer you back into IT, becuase thats what we like. If you were on a legal forum, they would convince you to go into law.
    yes I do like IT. Im just disgusted with the situation. Its a downer when I do not get even interviewed for a job with this description:

MINIMUM 1. Bachelor’s degree in a computer related field -OR- two years experience in
    QUALIFICATIONS: comprehensive PC technical support required.
    2. Experience with Microsoft Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office required.
    3. Experience with Local Area Networks (including structured cabling systems) required.
    4. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
    DUTIES AND
    RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Maintain, troubleshoot, and install campus computer labs.
    2. Serve as help desk for campus computing and communications systems.
    3. Assist in troubleshooting and maintaining campus networks.
    4. Participate in College functions (Awards Day, Alumni Homecoming,
    Commencement, etc.).
    5. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Technology Officer.

That would be the perfect job for me at this point in my career. 12 out of 15 that applied were interviewed.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    For next time... Don't wait for them to call you, call THEM!! Your resume could of be misplaced, fallen behind a desk or any of a 100 different things.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
    skyline wrote: »
    For next time... Don't wait for them to call you, call THEM!! Your resume could of be misplaced or fallen behind a desk or any of a 100 different things.

Well I know the HR lady. I called twice a week.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes I do like IT. Im just disgusted with the situation. Its a downer when I do not get even interviewed for a job with this description:

MINIMUM 1. Bachelor’s degree in a computer related field -OR- two years experience in
    2. Experience with Microsoft Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office required.
    3. Experience with Local Area Networks (including structured cabling systems) required.
    DUTIES AND
    Commencement, etc.).

That would be the perfect job for me at this point in my career. 12 out of 15 that applied were interviewed.

well i think the fact that you're a Sys Admin, it is considered a step down....and they'd probably see it as you'll bolt as soon as something better comes up....at least thats how i would....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe your resume isn't very good.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

DUTIES AND
    Commencement, etc.).

Something to keep in mind that a lot of times jobs get posted because they have to be. Companies are required to post a position to the public, even if they already have someone in mind. They are also often required to interview so many people.

I'm not saying that this is the case with all of them, but potentially some of them.

If you are getting interviews, you shouldn't be alarmed. It sometimes takes time to just find the right chemistry. Don't back out of what you like doing because you're having trouble finding a job.

What did you think of the idea to move 30 miles closer to the city to compromise the commute?
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I understand and respect that you want to be closer to your family. Is your wife willing to leave her job and relocate? I know it's hard with a new child but it isn't impossible. Would she consider teaching somewhere else (another county or state)? Would she consider being a stay at home mother?
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
    Yes I am open to moving closer if I found a job that I like. However this is not it. And my wife would be willing to move if I made enough to support us all. I'm not qualified at the moment to make $80000. And for less than that she wouldn't give up tenure.
    Yes I am open to moving closer if I found a job that I like. However this is not it. And my wife would be willing to move if I made enough to support us all. I'm not qualified at the moment to make $80000. And for less than that she wouldn't give up tenure.

Then you might need to have a long commute in a grungy job. Think of how Rudy did it.
    We are obviously going to steer you back into IT, becuase thats what we like. If you were on a legal forum, they would convince you to go into law.

Not me. It's good for us if people leave IT, that makes us more valuable. And, if someone isn't happy, I'm going to tell them to figure out a way to be happy, whether it's IT or something else.
    You guys are right. I am gonna have to move. What about medical transcription or working in the accounting department? Think I could land one of those?
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I can relate to your situation since I live in a town of less than 5000 people with the closest major cities being 50 miles in either direction. I actually got my start in IT in this same small town, though. I worked for a local PC repair shop that has been in business for almost 20 years. In a town that size, they are doing great, because people would rather keep their business and PCs local.

It started out as a 1 man show in a garage and they now have 4 employees and gross over $350,000/yr.

Just a good example of what can be possible if you're interested in starting a business like someone suggested above.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Not me. It's good for us if people leave IT, that makes us more valuable. And, if someone isn't happy, I'm going to tell them to figure out a way to be happy, whether it's IT or something else.

It's also good for us if people die, that way we can have a bigger slice of the pie. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go kill them.

What is profitable is not always right, and what is right isn't always profitable. A personal philosophy that I have and try to live by.

I am trying to help here, I think that he would be a fool to just put his hands up in the air and give up on IT because it is too far away. Even if that means that I go head to head with him for a job and lose someday. It is just the right thing to do.
    It's also good for us if people die, that way we can have a bigger slice of the pie. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go kill them.

Oh... you're not cool with killing off the competition? Please ignore that PM I sent you...
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you checked out IT jobs with the city government? They need IT folks at city hall, etc. Many companies out there will have an IT guy, or need an IT guy. Worst case scenario (And possibly best case) would be to offer services to many of the small companies in your city to fix problems that they may come up with. They may not be big enough to hire an IT guy, but they will need one once in a while to come and fix the issues that arise.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Surely there's a local IT staffing company in your area that can help you.

It sounds like your wife is the one driving this change, not you. Maybe I'm misreading. Did I understand that she won't move unless you make enough to cover what both of you are making right now?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...