Options

how long do you study a chapter for?

tonyg1tonyg1 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Have a question for you guys that are currently studying of have studied and passed the exams. I started to study back in febuarary or march of this year. I was doing okay and then had a set back from a death in the family that really hit me hard, i couldnt continue studying.

I just recently have felt like i am okay to continue, except i feel like i forgot everything i studied... I wanted to see how long do you yourself study a single chapter for? I am reading the mike meyers right now and before the setback, i was just starting chapter 12.
Since i feel i have to start over again i wanted to see if i am going to fast maybe that is why it nothing really stuck to me. would it be good practice to study a chapter a week or two per week? I could not see reading a chapter a day and stuff staying with me, thats just to fast. I just do not want to pass the exam, i actually want to know what i am talking about well after the exam as well.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A fast study would generally be about a month for an exam. But that depends on the exam and about how much you already know about the subject.

Each A+ test took me about a week, I had already learned most of the material in school, so I just used a week with Transcender and the internet to gather the knowledge that I already knew, and apply it to a test.

As far as studying goes, I try not to study. I just try to read the book, and when I get to parts I don't understand I make a note and turn to the internet, specfically this forum. I do a lot of my learning through comparisons, so I'll load this forum up with questions like "why is x different than y" and the great people here can usually answer it and point me to an external source that explains it.

You are in a great place right now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    My method is to read the chapter, make some notes. If I purchased the video series (cbt nuggets) I watch the video on that chapter to sink the information in a little deeper. If I am still a little foggy I'll re-read the chapter.

This works for me
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    skyline wrote: »
    My method is to read the chapter, make some notes. If I purchased the video series (cbt nuggets) I watch the video on that chapter to sink the information in a little deeper. If I am still a little foggy I'll re-read the chapter.

This works for me

I like to treat each source separatly. CBT has one way of teaching it, my book has another. Sometimes I'll be working out of both at the same time, and the fact that it doesn't sync up is nice.
    Decide what to be and go be it.