Options

Passed the Network + exam today! But which way to go now?

KaylecKaylec Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well I studied long and hard and I passed the N+, first time. I got an 820 score, I'm kind've curious what that translates to, percenile wise. I got my CCNA last september, now I got my Network +, I do have several options which cert to go after next. My goal is to stay in the networking field, I hear that server + is a good idea....but I was wondering how recognized it is. My other thoughts were to go with the A+, only because I like to tinker with pc's and from what I hear it's actually the precursor cert to the N+ (yeah I'm doing it all backwards, with the hardest stuff first). Then there's security+, or I could go suicide and go ccnp. To make things even better, all of this is to get me into the IT field, I have 2 cert's now, but zero IT experience (noone wants to hire you without experience, so how do you get it then ...interesting paradox). Anyone have any input on these certifications, any suggestions?
"Infinite Dreams, I Can't Deny Them"!

Comments

• Options
    RamsesKRamsesK Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats, jood job icon_exclaim.gif
    Formule One Racing Addict...
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Welcome to the forums, and congrats on the pass!

You have CCNA, so you were/are interested in networking. Then you mentioned Security+. Why not head for CCSP next then on to CCIE?

In order to get experience, you have to take what you can get. But, those who get in and then really apply themselves generally end up where they want to be. If you want to do IT, then do IT, and don't let anyone tell you anything different! But you have to "pay your dues". That's true of any profession.

Also, don't expect certs to carry you very far. Most adds that I see for IT positions of anything above entry-level jobs, ask for experience and
    an associate's or bachelor's degree, and seldom mention certfications at all.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    msrobinmsrobin Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congratulations on your recent pass! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Congrats, I'm amazed you went for your CCNA before Network+.
    But like another member said, why not go for CCNP and eventually CCIE? Or perhaps CCSP (Security) Information Security will always have a job market.
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Congrats! I would also recco going further with Cisco.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Just curious...why did you take the Network+ when you already had the CCNA? Isn't the CCNA cert a better value in terms of job, knowledge, and experience?
    By taking the Network+ after the accomplishment of a CCNA cert., isn't it a redundant? Or is it a better strategy for the market?
    Please inform.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    I would go for Server+ as CCNA focuses on Swithing and routing Cisco's way, the Network + is the foundation for the Networking Field, and Server + would give you a foundation in the server market, and probably A+, and then CWNA, as wireless is the emerging technology.

Just my twopenneth worth.
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    What is the Server+? Isn't it kinda like the MS 70-290 Windows servers?
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki