Options

US Giv Sues Oracle

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Comments

• Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    wow!!

"The government is claiming damages as high as $169 million in the Oracle lawsuit"

Just wow!!!
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah companies see government contracts as ripe opportunity to over bill them for services or products.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    25%?! Nice!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey, we have to pay for the bailouts somehow, right? Make Oracle do it, they've got money.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Larry has more money than god and most likely better lawyers. We'll see who wins.
  • Options
    IceMagic09IceMagic09 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    25% is like 42,250,000 =o

that would buy a lot of cert books
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I guess what we can gather from this is if you ever get a chance to do work for a government agency via a contract then you better give them as much of a discount as you'd give any normal corporate entity.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    aordal wrote: »
    Larry has more money than god and most likely better lawyers. We'll see who wins.
    I doubt God has that many lawyers..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    GM, AIG need another bailout?? Is that why US gov is suing Oracle? This whole thing seems ludacris
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    The government was purchasing software under a long term contract to negotiate discounts. Where as short term contracts companies have to worry about constantly renegotiating contracts to keep customers. Sounds to me like Oracle was taking advantage of the long term contracts by saving their deep discounts for other companies.
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    aordal wrote: »

Feds win over 90% of all cases they take to trial. Also they have ways of getting their money back that make a mob boss on collection day look like a christian....
  • Options
    bellhead wrote: »
    Feds win over 90% of all cases they take to trial. Also they have ways of getting their money back that make a mob boss on collection day look like a christian....

I would think that the government would have a huge advantage. But correct me if I'm wrong, I don't believe there are any laws that say you have to offer the same discounts to everyone. I've been offered discounts on vouchers and transcender through my school, that offer was never made to most of you guys. Should you all sue CompTIA and Transcender now?

Is it wrong? Yeah, I think it is. But you can't be punished for something that is wrong when no law exists to prevent it.
  • Options
    The article points out and provides a link to the law that was broken. I am not a big fan of software licensing or car sales also. I understand companies need to be able to barter pricing for hesitant customers but instructing their sales people to withold discounts annoys me. I price out plenty of stuff for government purchases and now I wonder if I should have negotiated harder
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    The article points out and provides a link to the law that was broken. I am not a big fan of software licensing or car sales also. I understand companies need to be able to barter pricing for hesitant customers but instructing their sales people to withold discounts annoys me. I price out plenty of stuff for government purchases and now I wonder if I should have negotiated harder

Thanks,
    I usually avoid links like that in articles, they tend to be spam.

After reading through what came up, this law seems to be more guided at the government screwing the government than at a company. I read it as, it is the responsibility of the government worker to ensure that US tax dollars aren't wasted. Haliburton can choose to charge whatever they want, and the government representative is reponsible to decline their offer because it is bad.

The government should go after whoever failed to negotiate a better deal.
    If the best price is not offered to the Government, you should ask the offeror to identify and explain the reason for any differences. Do not require offerors to provide detailed cost breakdowns.