What would you do? - re: Job Change

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I have for a job I am very interested in pursuing that I found via a recruiter.

The job would be a 20% raise over what I am currently making with a step up in responsibilities. Additionally, it is in a better location so that helps. The downside is that the company seems extremely disorganized but I see this as an opportunity to step in and put my own personal mark on it.

I'm not sure if I'm going to take the job or not and I have to let the company know no later than noon on Monday...thus presenting the problem.

I'd like to give my current employer a chance to counteroffer me with a larger salary because I like where I am currently at, they just aren't paying me enough.

My choices are to tell my employer on Monday (if I've decided to take the other job) but their counter offer will be after I've already accepted the job, so if I decide to stick around, I would have to back out on the other employer.

The other choice is to let my employer know today before I've decided for 100% that I want to take the job. If they don't make a counter offer for enough money, then I have the other job to fall back on...but I'm not 100% I want to take that job yet (I would say I'm about 70% sure I do at this point).

So what do you say guys? What would you do?

If I take the job I'll have to make a new name on here as I'll no longer be a JUNIOR Sys Admin, haha.
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    New title, 20% pay increase.. seems like a no-brainer to me.

I'd take the new job.
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    sambuca69 wrote: »

I'd take the new job.

agreed.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • rurouni_songrurouni_song Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    agreed.

Also you can see the disorganized part as a opportunity. If you can organize the IT department into something good, increase efficiency and all they will probably see how valuable you are and promote you/give you a raise icon_wink.gif
    Course of study: BSIT in database admin at WGU

Studying Current certifications: CCNA

I'm pretty new at IT currently, even thou i have been using computers and fixing them since i was 9-10 years old lol. I want to become a database administrator or system admin and also know some java programing on the side and develope apps for ipad/iphone, any tips or help from more experienced proffesionals would be greatly appreciated
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it were me, I'd accept the job.
    Here's why...
    The downside is that the company seems extremely disorganized but I see this as an opportunity to step in and put my own personal mark on it.
    As I'm sure you know, this could potentially be great experience. Add more pay and better location to that... the counter offer from my current company would have to be KILLER for me to stay.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sambuca69 wrote: »

I'd take the new job.
    It is either take it or don't take it. Unfortunately to don't have time to wait around and see if it gets approved.

You could tell your boss what happened. Don't phrase it as a "pay me more or lose me" but you could start the ball rolling on a potential raise.

This isn't the best market to be in, but you could probably find other work.

Just don't tell your boss that you are ready to take a hike without the intention to follow through. If he doesn't do anything, then you have to stand up for yourself.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Well I talked to him and he didn't have any problem at all. He said that he hired me because he knew I was ambitious and that if he didn't think I was capable/wanting to move on to bigger and better things that he wouldn't have hired me.

Money wise, he said he can get me a counter offer if that is what I want, but that off the record I should take the job as that is the way to move up in the IT world...
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Money wise, he said he can get me a counter offer if that is what I want, but that off the record I should take the job as that is the way to move up in the IT world...

Sounds like you have yourself a pretty good manager. If he is telling you to take the job then he is probably pretty sure they can't match.

If you do take the job, keep his number around. He sounds like an excellent colleague to keep in contact with.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Well I talked to him and he didn't have any problem at all. He said that he hired me because he knew I was ambitious and that if he didn't think I was capable/wanting to move on to bigger and better things that he wouldn't have hired me.

So, you have a good manager there that didn't try you screw around with you. I still think you should take the new position, but keep in contact with him. Who knows, you may be coming back here in a few years as their Senior Admin.