Options

Cover letter for internal promototion oportunity

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I have gotten so much amazing and helpful feedback on this board, and everytime I have something like this I run here for help. I really hope that someone could help me this time around as well. Well, here's my situation: I have been working at my company for 6 months doing helpdesk/desktop support. I was hired in January, and it just so happened that one of our System Administrators was leaving for a month long vacation and I was given an opportunity to step in and work with a Systems Manager while this person was away on a part-time basis, while still working as a technician full-time.

It turned out to be an amazing experience and the manager is a great guy and has taught me a lot and I was able to help a little bit with what I could. When the System Administrator came back from vacation, I asked the IT Director if it would be ok if I continued working in the same position and keep learning, to which IT Director said that it would be ok "for the time being". Few days ago I learned that there's an open position for a System Administrator available within the company and I really wanted to apply. I even asked the director if it would be ok because I was worried my current supervisor may not like me leaving to a new position so soon after I started. The IT Director said that he had no problem with that and that I could apply. So, I edited my resume with things I have learned and what I have done while working with the company, but the cover letter is where I'm stuck.

How do I begin and what can I say? All I can think of are negative points for some reason: being with a company for only 6 months, no real life experience as Sys Admin other than what I've done in the past month and a half, and lack of education in the field as far as doing the job as a Sys Admin at least. How do I start and how would you write such a cover letter?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it were me, I would talk up the company. Explain why you like working for them and that you want to be a bigger player. Speak of why you are qualified for the position, and thank them for considering you.

My cover letter is pretty short. It is 3 or 4 paragraphs with 4-5 sentences a piece. They don't want to read your life story, and you don't want to give it. Answer everything that is needed, but also leave them with questions so that they call you in for an interview.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    loss4words wrote: »
    being with a company for only 6 months, no real life experience as Sys Admin other than what I've done in the past month and a half, and lack of education in the field as far as doing the job as a Sys Admin at least.

the fact that you were given the opportunity to fill in while the admin was on vacation and after he came back allowed to continue learning shows you already have a good shot. they also know your work ethic and your desire to learn and that can easily make you a better candidate in their eyes over someone with some experience and/or certifications that they do not know. keep thinking positive and good luck!
    WIP: IPS exam