Prefix on Nat Pool

CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
As in

ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 24

What is it for?

Comments

• thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is the same thing that the netmask does. It identifies what network the pool addresses belong too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    You can use the CIDR /nn instead of specifying a netmask.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Yes, I get that, but it seems useless in this case. I mean you specify the the start and stop address so what does it matter what the prefix is?

For instance these all do the same thing right?

ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 25
    ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 26
    ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 27

• burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I don't know. I thought it'd have something to do with the routing table or CEF or something but I just threw a config together and it didn't affect that stuff at all.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Cyanic wrote: »
    Yes, I get that, but it seems useless in this case. I mean you specify the the start and stop address so what does it matter what the prefix is?

For instance these all do the same thing right?

ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 25
    ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 26
    ip nat pool ovrld 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.1 prefix 27

hmmm.....not you've got me thinking.....
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Just off the top of my head... if your NAT'ing to the internet, wouldn't it be useful to know the network/broadcast addresses of the subnet you are on?
    CCNP :study:
    fly351 wrote: »
    Just off the top of my head... if your NAT'ing to the internet, wouldn't it be useful to know the network/broadcast addresses of the subnet you are on?

Yes and those are defined on the interface itself. The NAT pool simply defines a pool of addresses to use for the translation. Since you define the start and stop points of that, it just seems like the prefix is unnecessary. There may be some use for it that I am not aware of though.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    At a guess, if the address has a prefix, it could then be filtered with a prefix-list. I'm not sure if thats definitely the case, but its possible I guess.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
    Yes and those are defined on the interface itself. The NAT pool simply defines a pool of addresses to use for the translation. Since you define the start and stop points of that, it just seems like the prefix is unnecessary. There may be some use for it that I am not aware of though.

Here you go!

The required netmask (or prefix) parameter performs a kind of verification check on the range of addresses. If the address range would not be in the same subnet assuming the configured netmask was used, then IOS will reject the IP NAT POOL command.
    Here you go!

The required netmask (or prefix) parameter performs a kind of verification check on the range of addresses. If the address range would not be in the same subnet assuming the configured netmask was used, then IOS will reject the IP NAT POOL command.

Nice find. Still odd in my book, but good to know.
    Nice find. Still odd in my book, but good to know.

Well it's very interesting, I suppose the range has to be within a subnet. Sounds like it can't crossover to another network.