quick resume question

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Should I include two part time jobs that had absolutely nothing to do with IT? I performed no IT related duties over a six month period, while waiting for my enlistment into the Army. I personally don't want to include them as they add nothing to the resume, and I cant really glorify grocery stocking and bookselling. At the most I could claim customer service experience, but I don't think that is really a help in the position I am applying for.

Comments

• RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have nothing else to offer for work experience you might as well leave them at least you would be providing some experience or work ethic. You can also highlight skills you have learned from them such as customer service or analyzing skills

But if you have had prior IT experience you should list the IT jobs only in the resume, this will make it look more technical
  • WillnetWillnet Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Should I include two part time jobs that had absolutely nothing to do with IT? I performed no IT related duties over a six month period, while waiting for my enlistment into the Army. I personally don't want to include them as they add nothing to the resume, and I cant really glorify grocery stocking and bookselling. At the most I could claim customer service experience, but I don't think that is really a help in the position I am applying for.

I'm sorry but why are you joining the Army? I could say a lot of bad things but everyone's experience is different. Just curious what your plan is.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have nothing else to put on there, go ahead and put it on there. Better than never having worked a day in your life.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Willnet wrote: »
    I'm sorry but why are you joining the Army? I could say a lot of bad things but everyone's experience is different. Just curious what your plan is.

What's wrong with joining the Army? It's a great way to get great experience, training, and get college paid for... outside the obvious benefit of pride of serving. (Besides, I read it as that he was already in, or might have already even gotten out, of the army, as he referred to it in past tense.)

SephStorm, thank you for your service. As far as your question, I agree with the two responses below.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends what you have to offer. When I applied for my recent job, I listed my job at Target because it is about all I had. Plus someone reading it would wonder what I have been doing for the past 3 years.

I did omit a part time summer job I had 2 years ago, but included another non IT job that I had for over a year that was even older.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    It depends what you have to offer. When I applied for my recent job, I listed my job at Target because it is about all I had. Plus someone reading it would wonder what I have been doing for the past 3 years.

I did omit a part time summer job I had 2 years ago, but included another non IT job that I had for over a year that was even older.

Put those jobs because it shows you working and that you are capable of work. It may not have IT expierence but it does reflect other aspects of work.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.