Utility to convert NTFS to Fat32?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Looking for a program to convert a 1TB usb drive to Fat32. Only reason is I wish to use this with my Apple Airport Extreme, which does not recognize NTFS partitions. I have three Windows machines (1 vista, 2 XP) that I want to be able to use this to backup each centrally.

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Backup the data and reformat the drive as FAT32.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As in you have existing data on the drive and don't want to move it off and format?

How much space do you need for the Airport? You could use Vista to shrink the NTFS partition and create a FAT32 partition for the AAE.

Also, the built-in Windows format utility will only create FAT32 partitions up to 32GB in size.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as I know there is no utility that can just simply convert a volume from one file system format to another. You'll have to format the volume to that particular fs format.

Like post number one said, easy way to do it is to just go in and format it as a FAT32 and then move all of the information back onto it.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It is usually recommended to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when hooking up to the Airport Extreme. The only reason I can see that you would want to go with FAT32 is if your going to unplug from the Airport Extreme and hook back up to a Windows OS. Windows will work fine with the drive formatted as stated above when connected through the Airport Extreme.

Edit: Just noticed that you didn't list any Apple devices, so I guess your going with FAT32! icon_thumright.gif
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No way to convert. Fat can be converted to ntfs with the convert command, only way back is a reformat though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.