EIGRP K values

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Alright, so every resource I am working with essentially tells me that the K values exist and then tell me never to change them. And generally provide little more detail than that.

I get the feeling the exam won't treat it that way. Any recommendations on additional reading on the K values? Like how they force updates, when they force them and how to tune them? I feel like I might be better off finding some CCIE training on the subject to get the detail I need.

Any ideas?
-Daniel

Comments

• btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    K Values - K1, K2, K3, K4, K5 = Constants

* K1 - Bandwidth
    * K2 - Load
    * K3 - Delay
    * K4 - Reliability
    * K5 - MTU

K1 = K3 = 1
    K2 = K4 = K5 = 0

The default for the K value is set so that only the bandwidth and the delay of the interface are used to calculate the EIGRP metric. The K values must be the same for all the routers, or EIGRP won't establish a neighbor relationship.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So say I turn on reliability/load on the line. What defines reliability/load? and how is it calculated? How does it recalculate? everytime a new neighbor is established? A link dies? Every 30 seconds?

I am completely lost on that.
    -Daniel
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This doesn't answer that question but ipexpert has a good post on what the K values actually are (most people misunderstand them): EIGRP Metric & K-Values – CCIE Blog
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the bcsi cbt nuggect brielf shows how to change K valuess and discusses them
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Train Signal BSCI videos also explain what they are and how to change them. I have never heard "NOT" to change them. When I watched the BSCI videos by Chris Bryant CCIE # 12933 the only thing he said was most of the time you should have a "good" reason for changing them.