Options

WDS Images question

Hi,

I'm reviewing some queries I have prior to my second shot on the 70-646.

Supposing you are preparing customised versions of Server 2008 software to various new servers using WDS. You are using the x64 version throughout.

You have 3 types of servers e.g. single CPU, Dual CPU, Quad CPU.

Do you create one custom image or three (i.e. one for each CPU build)

Thanks in anticipation :)

Comments

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I've sussed it out myself now.

MS Press Training Kit for the 70-646 says.

You will need to have a different WDS image for each type of architecture.
    So I presume if you have single CPU and Dual CPU, they will need different images.
    Seems sensible to me.

I've scheduled a second shot on the 70-646 for next thursday (24th) so I'm brushing up on my weaker points.....
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    I've sussed it out myself now.

MS Press Training Kit for the 70-646 says.

You will need to have a different WDS image for each type of architecture.
    So I presume if you have single CPU and Dual CPU, they will need different images.
    Seems sensible to me.

I've scheduled a second shot on the 70-646 for next thursday (24th) so I'm brushing up on my weaker points.....

that doesn't sound quite right. Windows 2008 is HAL independent, so you need one image for for a x86 PC and one image for a x64 PC.

I think you are over-complicating things. I wouldn't worry about getting asked a question about single CPU, Dual CPU, Quad CPU etc...
    Pay more attention to the fact that for Windows 2008 if you have environments with x86 and x64 machines you will need to have both an x86 and an x64 image to cater for both types. If you only have a x86 PCs, then you will only need an x86 image
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    alokin123 wrote: »
    that doesn't sound quite right. Windows 2008 is HAL independent, so you need one image for for a x86 PC and one image for a x64 PC.

I think you are over-complicating things. I wouldn't worry about getting asked a question about single CPU, Dual CPU, Quad CPU etc...
    Pay more attention to the fact that for Windows 2008 if you have environments with x86 and x64 machines you will need to have both an x86 and an x64 image to cater for both types. If you only have a x86 PCs, then you will only need an x86 image

Thanks for clarifying that - so I would just need one image for x86 builds and an image for x64 builds. The number of processors etc is irrelevant then. Maybe I was getting confused with HAL issues with previous operating systems.

many thanks.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    You will need

1 image for any x86 2008 servers
    1 image for any 64 bit 2008 servers.

You do not need to have different images for multiple CPU's as the .wim files doesn't worry about that architecture. The only architecture it worries about is 32/64bit.

So in essence you could build a single machine, install the software you want on it, run a sysprep to get rid of the GUID's, capture the image as a .wim file and then use that as your base image to deploy to the other pc's if they have to be the same with the same software and are of the same architecture.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete