Passed LPIC-2!

LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed the second exam today, not bad at all. Good amount of Apache ,which I am pretty familiar with (work for hosting company). Also, a good amount of what they classify as "Troubleshooting" but really I would classify it as "**** a Linux Admin should know" - their title is a bit shorter though.

It's kind of impressive how applicable the test is to real life. There were quite a few questions that may not strike someone new to linux as obvious. After a few years of troubleshooting issues they're obvious.

For both the LPIC-2 exams there aren't nearly as many questions with obscure command options. The questions are more practical in nature and I felt like I could have passed both of them without studying nearly as hard as I did. Though, hindsight is 20/20 so I'll never know.

Going to start self-study for the RHCE now. Would like to get it by August...that is if I don't decide to wait for the new exam.

I'm kind of curious whether any recruiters even know what the LPIC is. If any of them mention it I will report back here to let everyone know. ;)

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!

Did someone say LPIC-3? lol

Have you looked at the GCUX by Sans? It looks interesting and I would like to do it in the future. What's up after RHCE? Also what distros do you work with? Any tips for a noob trying to do the LPIC-1 in a few months?
  • LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Awesome!
    Did someone say LPIC-3? lol

Haha, I plan on leaving the LPIC-3 till I've worked with LDAP more. Plus when they get ready to expire I can always take LPIC-3 then.
    Have you looked at the GCUX by Sans? It looks interesting and I would like to do it in the future. What's up after RHCE? Also what distros do you work with? Any tips for a noob trying to do the LPIC-1 in a few months?

Never even heard of GCUX, it looks interesting though. Not planning on doing any more after RHCE. After the RHCE I will probably stay busy learning whatever software is specific to the job. Hopefully more experience with HA since that's something I'm lacking.

As far as LPIC-1, I OVER prepared for both those exams. If you can take the practice exams in either of the main LPIC-1 books and pass then you're good. Passing is a 500 out of 800, that's like 62.5% or higher as passing. Maybe not exactly but the point is you can miss quite a few questions and still pass. LPIC-1 is well represented within the various books, no surprises. You can do it! icon_cheers.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!

What did you use as study materials (besides experience), if you don't mind me asking?
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Awesome LinuxG33k, congratulations!icon_cheers.gif You didn't waist any time, did you? icon_wink.gif Was it chicken bbq pizza celebration again? :D
    Is your employer willing to pick up the tab for your RHCE cert- related expenses?
    Seems that one way or another you'll have to choose an actual distro/vendor if you go for certs further than LPIC-1. +1 for over preparation: I felt the same way too.
    Awesome effort. I am sort of tired of preparation for multiple- choice questions- type exam. I'll probably go for Novell's CLP (practical exam) some time in November.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LinuxG33k wrote: »
    Passed the second exam today, not bad at all. Good amount of Apache ,which I am pretty familiar with (work for hosting company). Also, a good amount of what they classify as "Troubleshooting" but really I would classify it as "**** a Linux Admin should know" - their title is a bit shorter though.

It's kind of impressive how applicable the test is to real life. There were quite a few questions that may not strike someone new to linux as obvious. After a few years of troubleshooting issues they're obvious.

For both the LPIC-2 exams there aren't nearly as many questions with obscure command options. The questions are more practical in nature and I felt like I could have passed both of them without studying nearly as hard as I did. Though, hindsight is 20/20 so I'll never know.

Going to start self-study for the RHCE now. Would like to get it by August...that is if I don't decide to wait for the new exam.

I'm kind of curious whether any recruiters even know what the LPIC is. If any of them mention it I will report back here to let everyone know. ;)

congrats and what study materials did you use for the 202 exam?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif

Good Luck on your RHCE pre if that is the road you decide to take.
  • LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all!

@varelg, Good luck on the CLP if that's what you choose. Let us know how that goes. haha I hit a taco bus on the way home. My wife made some celebratory blueberry muffins from scratch too!

Regarding your RHCE question, unfortunately, my employer is pretty cheap. As to say: there isn't a chance in hell they will ever pay for anything that doesn't directly contribute to the bottom line. Shortsighted of them and probably indicative of why I'm working on getting these certs. icon_wink.gif

@zobo88, Studying for 202 means being more strategic than is necessary on the previous exams. On earlier exams you can attempt to be comprehensive in your studies but on 202 that's not nearly so easy. I basically printed the detailed objectives list and used google, man pages, and prior knowledge to assure a decent understanding of all heavily weighted areas. I skipped Squid, NIS, procmail(some prior knowledge) and concentrated on the "troubleshooting", apache, samba, nfs, areas. I probably spent the most time on Samba and NFS since I was far from proficient in those areas. The troubleshooting sections make up 15 points and is all stuff that's actually used OJT. I didn't study the networking or security sections at all as I felt comfortable with the objectives listed for those sections.

I made some use of The LPIC-2 Exam Prep but mostly as supplemental material. It's still representative of the objectives for the areas I did use it, namely: mail, DHCP, and samba.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.